Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Forum newbie needs help with 2 items - please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Forum newbie needs help with 2 items - please!!!

Good morning all,
I am a newbie here on the forum, but have lurked on here for about 3 years. I need some help with two issues.

1. My power steering goes out very frequently. When it does, I put it in N, turn it off and then restart it and I will have power steering back again, but only for a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what can I do to fix it?

2. The gear shift button is locked/jammed and I can't figure out how to get in to the housing surrounding the button. I have taken apart most of the dash items around the shifter and still no luck. How can I get to the gear shift button? I can't find a screw or anything that will allow me to take off the housing around the gear shift button. I need to fix it ASAP as when I start the car, it thinks it is in gear.

Any help with either issue would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, and I look forward to contributing on this forum as it is a great site!

Phillip
Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Deceased

to the forum Pray32!

To answer your first question, it sounds like you are experiencing a failure of the power steering motor itself, there was an issue with these and here is the thread addressing the replacement of a motor assembly. Be sure to click on the thread links included in the posts, lots of helpful info to be found.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...steering+motor

And for your second question, here's a link showing how to disassemble the shifter on the auto trans.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t+knob+removal

Hope these help you out, always feel free to ask questions here, we're all glad to help folks out.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Welcome to the forum!

(AND when you replace the power steering motor, keep all receipts..... Just in case GM ever gets it's collective butt out of A$$ and does a RECALL like they have everywhere else..... they will pay for it)

Sorry [/rant]
Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 PM

@ 843de - Thank you so much for the great reply! I guess I will have to tackle this this weekend, although my handy man skills suck!!! One question before I buy the replacement motor: I have done some research and some people have said they changed the #1 fuse and had no more problems with the power steering. Should I do this first and hope it works? And if so, is this a fuse that has to be bought at a dealership?

I am also assuming that I need to buy the motor from the dealership as well, right? If not, can I get this motor at a place like Auto Zone or an O'Reilly's? Sorrfy for all of the questions but I am clueless when it come to making repairs.

One more thing regarding the gear shift. Once I get it off, do you think it will unjam itself, or will I need to replace the button? I guess it will depened on what happens when I get into it, huh?

@ Greybeard999 - Thank you as well, and yes, I will keep all receipts! why hasn't Chevy done a recall for this? It seems a ton of people have had this problem, right?

Thanks again to both of you...I will post once I have completed both repairs...

Last edited by Pray32; 07-19-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 PM

Try the fuse first befor you replace the motor if it dosent fix then it's time for a motor. As far in getting a motor hate to say it but the dealer would have in stock. I don't know any part stores would carrier a e motor yet or stock it. I could be wrong....
Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM

" why hasn't Chevy done a recall for this? It seems a ton of people have had this problem, right?"

Yes, and they did a recall for the cobalt, (same platform/same part) they even did a recall for the HHR in Canada..... but not here. It's totally a $$$ game until people die and the Government tells them to do a recall................. I feel the rant coming on again.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 PM

@ RobSSTurbo - Thank you for the suggestion. where can i get the fuse? Is this a fuse that can only be bought at the dealership? I know it is a large fuse, correct? If I can buy it somewhere other than the dealership I would prefer to go that route. And, the dealership does have the motor in stock. Here it is $104.82. I like your HHR...very nice look!

@ Greybeard999 - The guy I talked to at the dealership asked me for the last 8 numbers of my VIN to see if there was a recall, and of course he said no, but did tell me there is a recall for this for the Cobalts and is still in effect. Seems very dumb to me that they have done a recall for the HHR yet.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Deceased

I'd try a good auto parts store like Napa for the fuse, I don't think its a dealer only thing. The price you got on the motor seems to be right about the going rate for one Pray32, but like Rob suggested, change the fuse first and maybe you'll save some cash.

As far as the shifter goes, it may free up when taken apart or you might just find something that is causing it to stick, so you just have to see what you find. It might just be gummed up and need cleaned.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Thanks 843de. Does the fuse have a part number, or do I just ask for a #1 fuse? Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure I buy the right fuse.

Yeah, I am hoping the shifter button will free itself once I am able to get it take off...thanks for the reply!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Deceased

I'm sure it does have a GM part number, but honestly I can't find it right now. The easiest thing to do would be to head over to the parts store and pull the fuse when you get there, take it in with you and they should be able to match it right up. Then just install the new fuse and see if your steering issues go away on the drive back home.

Quick Reply: Forum newbie needs help with 2 items - please!!!