Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM

front end clunk

I have the seems to be common front end clunking on the the suspension. Nothing appears to be loose. I can grab the tie rods and struts and axle and yank and push and nothing jumps around or makes noise. Seems to happen on tiny bumps and quick bumps but if the suspension really moves, no noise. Seems to be fine. I am guessing it is the intermediate steering shaft I have heard about. It needs to be lubed apparently. I have no warranty so unless dealers do this for free, I would rather do it myself. Does anyone have a diagram of this part and how to remove it along with the type of lube required?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Yeah, it could be the front sway bar links, or possibly the steering column. I had the sway bar links replaced, and then the struts were leaking...both caused it.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM

I used to have a Saturn Ion, and they ended up replacing the sway bar bushings on it. that used to make a nice clunking sound
Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 PM

clunk

My 08 hhr had a clunkety sound when i went over railroad tracks or hit a hole just rite. Took it to the dealer and after they checked it out, they said it was a part in the steering sector. They ordered the part and installed it and that fixed it. Dont know if it was something else or not as long as it was fixed, and it was under warranty.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 PM

My Clunk was a split in the exhaust manifold. It is warrantied up to 80,000 miles. I barely made it. I only heard it on occassion. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM

I got the same problem, actually just start two weeks ago. Once i get a chance its going to the dealer.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 AM

The description sound like sway bar links. Very common on GM vehicles. I had to have one replaced on the HHR, and both on my Trailblazer.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:08 AM

Things is I grabbed everything pertaining to the suspension and nothing moved in any odd way. I mean would this be possible with sway bar links even though they dont move when yanking you them?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by vinmans brew
Things is I grabbed everything pertaining to the suspension and nothing moved in any odd way. I mean would this be possible with sway bar links even though they dont move when yanking you them?
It is possible the road with the help of the heavy vehicle does a lot better job "yanking" than you can do. I've never found that I am strong enough to move much on a vehicle unless the parts are very badly worn.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Just a note, when checking the sway bar links, you must have the weight of the vehicle on the wheels. I had the same problem with mine, had to change both links. I still have another clunking noise that the garage can't find now though. The mechanic says it sounds like a table bushing but all bushings seem nice and tight. I didn't know about the steering bit though. I'll have to check that out next.

Quick Reply: front end clunk