Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front end clunking!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Front end clunking!

I filmed a video about Moog K750012 swaybar end links

Let me know what you think here. Thanks for watching!
Old 09-19-2021, 01:28 PM
geg

Hi buddy.
You pulled a lot of pieces of iron from your Black Swan.
To be honest, I hardly understand English by ear. Perhaps I am missing something or I do not understand correctly.
But it looks like your non-cheap links have not been running for more than 1 year. And your ball joints are dying too.
You asked what we think about this.
Of course, I think you fixed everything. Timely and accurately, as always.
I will not talk about the ball joint.
But here's what I think about links:
Like many others here, the first time I received a suspension rumble every year. And In the first year I received amazing information for me - it turns out you guys are lubricating your stabilizers with grease. A common practice for an American and a completely unthinkable occupation for a Russian. By the way, none of the site members could explain to me why free movement of the stabilizer inside the bushings is needed.
In short, one day I spat on American standards and did everything in Russian - I threw the standard GM bushings into the trash, found some Toyota bushings that were approximately the same size. After finishing them with a meat chopping knife, I installed them in my front suspension. I chose bushings with a hole diameter 2.5 mm smaller than the stabilizer diameter. Therefore, after tightening the bolts on the brackets, the stabilizer was clamped with a death grip so that it could not move an inch even with a sharp turn. My links are in my fifth year and I still don't hear the rumbling. I think that after my stabilizer stopped moving left / right, the load on the links was greatly reduced. At the same time, I did not notice any deterioration in the car's handling, although I like to step on the gas.
I don’t know if it’s acceptable for an American or a Canadian to do the same. But on the other hand, what do you lose. You can just check for yourself. Suddenly like it.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your input Geg, the swaybar bushings I have are factory style OEM 25 mm rubber bushings, I stall mine dry, no grease the swaybar wiped clean, I did install 1 inch diameter polyurethane bushings with grease fittings in my 2007 , they were loose and clunked , allowing the links to be beaten to death by excessive movement. I just replaced the swaybar bushings in the BlackSwan in June. The black links lasted about a month prior to them making clunking noises.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:52 PM

Blue,

I installed the Moog K750012 on my 2011 2LT at approx.35,000 miles and now have 65,644 miles.
I have my Chevy dealer lube them every oil change which is at 3000 miles
I have no noises from the front end at this point. Steers perfect.
The problem must have developed somewhere after my purchase.

I did the front sway bar with new GM bushings at the same time,

Silverfox
Old 09-19-2021, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Thank, I think I have problems due to severe potholes and I do my own service lube the links and ball joints every 3 to 6 k kilometres
Old 09-19-2021, 09:15 PM

Might the brand of grease you are using be an issue?

SF
Old 09-20-2021, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Same Shell chassis grease , I’ve used for years.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:01 AM
geg

I do not lubricate my suspension ..
To be honest, I don't even know exactly which place in the suspension requires lubrication.
OldBlue, I see in your links something like fittings for supplying lubricant to the balls (or are it tightening bolts?). This is the only place in my opinion where you can apply grease.

I use links from the CTR manufacturer. Korean, quite strong. I know you don't like the Korean parts, but that's because you associate it with the Chinese parts.
Here is a picture. Don't be bothered that this is for the Camry. 99% identical to GM, only stronger.

Weight [g] 406 g
Length [mm] 261 mm
Thread size 1 M12xP1.25
Thread size 2 M12xP1.25

Price in Ekaterinburg: 8.5 - 11 USD for 1 piece.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:05 AM
Administrator

I’ve installed Delphi TC5530 end links

They fit and are not clunking at all. Yes the Moog K750012 links do have a grease zerk at each end

Last edited by Oldblue; 09-20-2021 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Housekeeping
Old 09-20-2021, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I filmed a video about Moog K750012 swaybar end links
Let me know what you think here. Thanks for watching!
The only sound I could hear was the link rolling on the wood.
But I'll take your word for it.
Not good news for the Moog parts, perhaps not what they used to be. That what I just used links, struts and joints.

You may want to try taking vids holding the phone horizontally to get rid of the black bars on each side.

Quick Reply: Front end clunking!