Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Front end shaking 2009 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Now we are back to square one!!! We've given you several suggestions towards replacing the Lower Control Arms, including two methods of diagnosing the problem. But since at this point with you "Just not sure exactly what is causing it", it's time to take it to a shop for them to take a look at it.
I've already ordered the control arms and I have the tools and ability to change them. I' will just do that and see what happens. This is an old car and I have been making my own repairs on all of of my cars for years. Taking it to a shop is not a diy solution. I use the expertise of the forum for guidance on what to look for. Don Brewer immediately responded control arms on first reply. I think he's right and I just don't know the subtleties of testing it. It is front end for sure. Could be rotor also but that would be too easy.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

I hope you ordered the cast aluminum control arms. The cheaper stamped steel arms may fit but are not correct for the HHR.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I hope you ordered the cast aluminum control arms. The cheaper stamped steel arms may fit but are not correct for the HHR.
I tried a different method of checking the play in the wheel as suggested by Don B,, using my foot to rock back and forth. There is noticeable play in both sides doing it this way. I bought the recommended arms.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

In post # 14 you said that trying to roll it back and forth didn't show any movement, now in post 23 you say the same test showed play???

In post 21 you say you did not know the subtleties of testing it - Don's suggested test and the screwdriver test were both described and used. Huh?

I'm out.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Not usually rotors, more rear brakes out of adjustment or LCA bushings.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 PM

In post # 14 you said that trying to roll it back and forth didn't show any movement, now in post 23 you say the same test showed play???

In post 21 you say you did not know the subtleties of testing it - Don's suggested test and the screwdriver test were both described and used. Huh?

I'm out.
Dude, I don't understand the problem? I have used this forum in the past without any blowback on simple questions. I did the screwdriver test and reported movement. I then tried Don's rocking test by pushing with my arms and hands on top of tire but didnt see movement. I then tried again but this time I put my foot on top of tire and got more weight behind the effort which resulted in seeing movement. Unbelievable.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Not usually rotors, more rear brakes out of adjustment or LCA bushings.
Thank you for feedback. I was able to try a different method of rocking the car, and I did see and feel play in the wheel before vehicle moved. I think between you and the ever helpful Don Brewer, it's in all likelihood the control arms and I am replacing them.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

No, go read what you wrote - in your words "unbelievable". You asked what was wrong - we pointed out several tests - you confirmed the bushing was shot with the screwdriver test way back - then that was still not enough for you after several said, yup - it's the bushings. Then you say you did not know the subtleties of testing - those were your words not mine.

So DUDE - just change them out as suggested in post 2 and several others. Unbelievable.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:15 PM

No, go read what you wrote - in your words "unbelievable". You asked what was wrong - we pointed out several tests - you confirmed the bushing was shot with the screwdriver test way back - then that was still not enough for you after several said, yup - it's the bushings. Then you say you did not know the subtleties of testing - those were your words not mine.

So DUDE - just change them out as suggested in post 2 and several others. Unbelievable.
You're unbelievable!
Old 02-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

thank you BlueSS - UNBELIEVABLE.

Quick Reply: Front end shaking 2009 HHR