Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

frozen window

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:39 PM

frozen window

Everytime the temp goes below freezing my drivers side window sticks. After running the heater for a while it will roll down with no problems. There does not have to be any moisture in the aire for this to happen just a low temp, and none of the other windows do it.

I also noticed another thread once where people were having the same problem. Has anyone taken their door apart to see what is pinching down on the window in cold temps?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Yeah I have this very same problem, its really annyoing tho. I just pry it open with an ice scraper..
Old 01-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by fantomfreke
Everytime the temp goes below freezing my drivers side window sticks. After running the heater for a while it will roll down with no problems. There does not have to be any moisture in the aire for this to happen just a low temp, and none of the other windows do it.

I also noticed another thread once where people were having the same problem. Has anyone taken their door apart to see what is pinching down on the window in cold temps?
Is it maybe stuck to the weatherstripping? I would try some silicone lube on the weatherstrip. I did a search for TSB's and there are none. We don't get too cold in Dallas so I haven't heard of this complaint before.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 AM

That was the first (and only) problem I've had with my HHR since I drove it off the lot. It isn't a weatherstripping issue, I really don't know what causes it. I do know that the only other time I've experienced this was with my '01 F-150. the only thing they have in common is that I have installed ventvisors on both of them. To those of you who have this problem, do you have ventvisors??
Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 AM

I have had the same problem, but with a few pushes of the button up and down, it finally comes loose. I do not have vent visors.
Also I would NOT add silicon lubricant to the weather-stripping around the window unless you want streaked windows
Old 01-04-2008, 08:59 AM

I've had the same problem with pretty much any car I've owned. Moisture gets into the stripping where the glass passes down into the door and freezes. The only cure I can think of is moving to Hawaii. It's not as pesky to me now since I stopped smoking. No real need to have the window open in the cold.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 AM

LOL< I use the window a lot - ATMs and drive-ups at BK and McDs on my way to work
Old 02-04-2008, 01:21 AM

A lil update. After some crazy weather here in recent weeks i have paid attention to the outside conditions and temp in relation to when the drivers side (only one that does it) windows sticks. I have come up with the following.

1) It does not have to be below freezing for the window to stick. It has "frozen stuck" with a temp as high as 45
2) There does not have to have been precipitation nor a high humidity for the window to freeze shut
3) On the 2 occasions when there was precip below freezing (18 degrees) all of the other windows had enough oompf (thats a very technical term there lol) to break themselves loose.

I do have vent visors but i wouldnt think that would have anything to do with it? Chevy dealer has no clue. I explained that it has the ability to freeze shut when above freezing and apparently it cant actually work that way. Thats waht they say anyway. So, Im back to square one which would be opening the door up and seeing if its pinching somewhere or maybe the motor is just anemic. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 AM

AT 45 it isn't "freezing" but must be binding some place in the channel and mechanical stuff in the door, including a motor that might be binding at the initial start position. That is if the switch itself is working properly. Would have to pull the door panel and start checking the operation, first being is power getting to the motor, 2nd, does the motor make noise like it is trying to run but not running, 3nd disconnect motor and see if it runs, 4th check the mechanical arms and etc that are attached to the window for a binding problem in while in the up position. That is the way I would tackle it if it was out of warranty. Try another dealer if it is still covered.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 PM

I worked as an auto glass technician for about 17 years. Often when a customer would come in with a sticky door glass problem, we would simply grab a can of silicone spray and lube up the weather strip channels. Next step if that didnt work would be to take off the door panel and visually inspect the interior mechanicals of the door such as the door glass regulator, loose wires and testing of the power motor. Now believe it or not, often the problem could also be that the CURVATURE of the glass is off. No matter what you do, nothing will fix the problem if the glass curvature is out of whack...you can only order up another door glass and try that up and down. IF the vehicle was brought into a autoglass shop, installers would order another brand of glass (PPG, CARLITE, CRIMANEX, etc.) and give one of them a try. I would go back to your dealership (if under warranty) and ask them to consider replacing your door glass window . TRUST ME, i myself had to do this for customers at dealerships and for drive in appointments. Sometimes you get a defective part...that includes distorted/badly shaped autoglass.

Quick Reply: frozen window