Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel Line Replacement - floor pan mount advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:26 AM

Fuel Line Replacement - floor pan mount advice.

I am planning to replace the fuel lines on my '09 next week. I had a look and there are some mounting clips under the car that seem to be bolted thru the floor pan from the interior. At first glance, it appears that these need to be unbolted from the interior in order to release the lines. Any advice from those who have done this job? I'd like to use the factory mounting without mangling it, if possible. I have purchased the FineLine FL255A kit thru Rockauto for the job.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 PM

I just installed the same Fineline fuel line lit from Rock Auto on my 2006 HHR this weekend.

All the floorpan clips snap apart without any unscrewing from inside or any fastener removal. Look at them carefully to see where the release tabs are as they are tricky to separate. On some of them, the locking tabs are in the middle of the clip.

The kit is close to factory but not exactly a perfect fit. I had to do a little hand adjustment of the bend angle where the two lines go up from the floorpan into the engine compartment. The flex line going to the fuel rail is also quite a bit longer than the factory one and needs to be accommodated with an "S-curve".

Each line comes in 4 sections, which means 3 couplers. These couplers are wider than the lines and prevent the lines from running close to each other (factory setup), which makes it harder to line them up in some of the clips.

The hardest clip was the one on the firewall after the lines curve up about 6 inches from the floorpan. This clip won't swing open all the way due to hitting the downpipe from the exhasut manifold. Also, there was a coupler on the new lines right next to the clip. I ended up cutting through the plastic "hinge" on the clip so I could pull up the whole top half of the clip instead of swinging it open (as it was designed). I then joined the two halves with a couple of wire ties.

Steve
Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the detailed advice!

Hey Steve,

Nice write up! I really appreciate the advice. Good to know about the fit as well.

All the best from this side of the river,

Rich