Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel odour.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Dan is at the ready! We were just out in the driveway discussing when he has time.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

On a side note. Wish my wife would let me do the work and maint. on her Hyundai. She has a local place do all her work.
Well....She had the thermostat, housing, coolant and some hoses replaced by them the other day.
She took off this morning heading to Birmingham (250 miles) An hour later I get a call from her. Seems the car "blew" off one of those hoses. Before she was aware and pulled over, it was too late. Engine seized up according to the wrecker driver.
That local shop has already accepted responsibility. The Hyundai is going to get another engine.
AND. I'm going to ask them to inspect the transmission. At the least, I would want the fluid changed because of the overheating.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:52 PM

The vapor line is not high pressure, just the vapor getting sucked into the intake.

I would vote for some fuel hose and clamps.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Thanks Don, if one is corroded then the other is right behind it.
Gees, FMG , if y’all had done the work she’d still have that old engine, you’ve got a good point on that transmission getting boils fluid pumped thro the rad.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge

On a side note. Wish my wife would let me do the work and maint. on her Hyundai. She has a local place do all her work.
Well....She had the thermostat, housing, coolant and some hoses replaced by them the other day.
She took off this morning heading to Birmingham (250 miles) An hour later I get a call from her. Seems the car "blew" off one of those hoses. Before she was aware and pulled over, it was too late. Engine seized up according to the wrecker driver.
That local shop has already accepted responsibility. The Hyundai is going to get another engine.
AND. I'm going to ask them to inspect the transmission. At the least, I would want the fluid changed because of the overheating.
All I want to know is how you responded to that call..... Did you just say aw honey that's terrible, how are you going to get home now?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DrLoch
All I want to know is how you responded to that call..... Did you just say aw honey that's terrible, how are you going to get home now?
Weird thing is that I was kind of expecting that call. I had one of those "feelings" before she left. (and I don't even believe in stuff like premonitions)
Just told the wife to make them get her a rental car. I know the shop owner Duane. He's one of my golfing friends. He'll do the right thing and take care of everything.
As far as the employee that screwed up the repair work. He may be looking for another job. Duane won't put up with that kind of mistake.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:29 AM

Sounds like you a keeper for a shop owner. Generally in situations like that most are quick to place the blame elsewhere.

How many miles on the Hyundai?
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

A bunch. Closing in on 200k miles.
Having another one of those "feelings" again. Only this time it will be the wife saying she wants a new car.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:49 PM

Having another one of those "feelings" again. Only this time it will be the wife saying she wants a new car.
She's getting a new engine for Pete's sake!
How could she want more than that?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Is that same as the tires are worn out we need to get a new car that has new tires? All kidding aside, Hyundai is making some nice cars. Tell her to get the GDI turbo and the two of you can square off. One suggestion though, let her win it will make living together a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Fuel odour.