Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuel Pump Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Did they actually verify that the fuel pump was the problem? Does it make noise just turning the key to the ON position? Was it put on a lift to check the area for rattling or loose parts? There are exhaust sheilds in that area that would be a more likely cause.
The noise is there all the time, not just at startup. I took the gas cap off with it running and the noise was louder. It sounds like a blender running. When the dealer had it the last time they gave me another HHR loaner and I told the service writer that this car didn't make the noise. He said it sounded like the fuel pump to him, so that it what the replaced. Do I know for sure it was replaced, no.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Deceased

Well you might have been given a "wall job", its when a dealer "fixes" your vehicle by parking it in the shop for a few hours. After "fixing" the vehicle, they file a fraudulent warranty claim with GM and pocket the money, you still have a problem of course because nothing was done.

If you suspect that this might be going on, you can place tape over fittings and other obvious areas that would be disturbed during an actual repair. After you get the vehicle back, examine the tape seals to see if they have been broken, if they are undisturbed you have a warranty fraud situation.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 843de
Well you might have been given a "wall job", its when a dealer "fixes" your vehicle by parking it in the shop for a few hours. After "fixing" the vehicle, they file a fraudulent warranty claim with GM and pocket the money, you still have a problem of course because nothing was done.

If you suspect that this might be going on, you can place tape over fittings and other obvious areas that would be disturbed during an actual repair. After you get the vehicle back, examine the tape seals to see if they have been broken, if they are undisturbed you have a warranty fraud situation.
X 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a magic marker..
Old 07-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 843de

Okay.... Sorry it took so long for me to get back to everyone on this problem. Took car back and they installed a 2nd fuel pump. Was fine for a couple of days... then the blender returned!!!!!! The service manager was kind enough to grace me with his time before they replaced the pump. He wanted to go for a ride to hear the problem. I started it up in the shop and that was as far as we went before he noticed the noise.

I noticed on the work order that they put in a comment that this was being done "to attempt to please the customer". Seems to me that they can't figure out what the problem is and I've become a pain in the butt to them with this issue. I'm at the end of my rope with this. I love the car and don't want to dump it, but it's getting closer to that point. Any other ideas or thought would be helpful.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 PM

I think its time for you to get a GM zone rep involved. Its obviousely something that is fixable, since the noise is not present in any other HHR. Since you are still under warrantee, you could try another dealer, but IMO your dealer has already run you around far more than you should have been. Its time to escolate the problem up the ladder, and to pressure GM into fixing your car, regardless of what it takes to do it right.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 PM

If they actually replaced (2) pumps with new ones, then they need to look elseware for the noise unless it is somehow internally related to the way the pump is sitting/operating now.

How many miles on the car before this all started?

It sounds like something is transmitting the pump operational noise that shouldn't be.
The Dealer should be looking into that on there own.
Just the fact that it was there when you took it to them, and it is still there, means they have not yet touched the sweet spot.

The question still exists ...is it still covered under Warranty ??

If so, then contact the Chevrolet Customer Service Dept via the 1-800 number in your owners manual, and open a claim based on your experience.
That will register your complaint with Chevrolet and they will give you a Case Number that can be followed up on.
They might also ask you to take it to another dealer for another opinion.
Put the monkey on their Back !!!

My 2011 makes no noticeable noise inside the car.

Last edited by Silverfox; 07-08-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
If they actually replaced (2) pumps with new ones, then they need to look elseware for the noise unless it is somehow internally related to the way the pump is sitting/operating now.

How many miles on the car before this all started?

It sounds like something is transmitting the pump operational noise that shouldn't be.
The Dealer should be looking into that on there own.
Just the fact that it was there when you took it to them, and it is still there, means they have not yet touched the sweet spot.

The question still exists ...is it still covered under Warranty ??

If so, then contact the Chevrolet Customer Service Dept via the 1-800 number in your owners manual, and open a claim based on your experience.
That will register your complaint with Chevrolet and they will give you a Case Number that can be followed up on.
They might also ask you to take it to another dealer for another opinion.
Put the monkey on their Back !!!

My 2011 makes no noticeable noise inside the car.
The problem started with about 12,000 miles. I now have 17,700 on it. Still have plenty of warrenty miles and time left. I think I'll take your advise and call Chevy and see what they can do. Thanks for the advice. Will keep everyone posted as to what happens. In the mean time I'm still open to any and all other ideas!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chazz1953
The problem started with about 12,000 miles. I now have 17,700 on it. Still have plenty of warrenty miles and time left. I think I'll take your advise and call Chevy and see what they can do. Thanks for the advice. Will keep everyone posted as to what happens. In the mean time I'm still open to any and all other ideas!
I too would be concerned that the service order stated that they were doing it to please the customer .....

That tells you something about their attitude.

Ask Chevrolet when you talk to them if there might be another preferred Dealer nearby should you need them, and that way you will be ahead of any possible static when you get there.
Ask them for the Service Managers Name.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 PM
geg

Perhaps it will be useful ...

In Russia, for the detection of non-standard noise source, we use a simple device. This is analog to medical phonendoscope.
http://smazka.by/avtoinstrument-topt...-jdax0101.html
http://www.ural-k-s.ru/p/stetoskop_a...ls_tayvan.html
I think in the U.S., you also have it (if not, I can send it to you). You will need the overpass (or observation pit), tool kit and a free evening. You will find the source of the noise with high probability.

can you make such a device yourself. To do this you must to medical phonendoscope rigidly attached a thin tube-probe. The main working body - the membrane. If the picture before you eyes - the device is clear intuitively.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Dear Chazz1953,

I have read about your situation with your HHR. Is this the only dealership that you have visited for your issue? Please, feel free to visit another Chevrolet service department for a second opinion if you would like.

How long ago did you take the car in for the second fuel pump?

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Noise