Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Fuse #45 is blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:49 PM

Fuse #45 is blowing

I have a 2007 hhr with a 2.4 liter engine it has about 140k miles on it. About 800 miles ago I replaced the spark plugs with Bosch plugs. I know, I should have used AC Delco plugs but that is water under the bridge. I drove home from work on Tuesday in the rain parked the car in the driveway with no issues. I went to start the car about an hour later and the motor just turned over with no start. The first thing I thought of was the battery sense it is the original. I checked the voltage and it has 12.6 volts so I went ahead and cleaned the terminals and tightened all of the connections. This did not fix the problem. This morning, the first dry day sense this happened I checked all of the fuses and found that fuse #45 inj ign mdl fuse was blown. It is a 10amp so I replaced and the car fired right up. I stopped and started the car a couple of times in the driveway and then went around the neighborhood with no issues. Later I went to the bank and the store and then decided to go through the car wash. I turned the car off to vacuum and tried to start it and blew the fuse again. I replaced it twice and it blew as soon as I turned the key. I called a tow truck and now it is at the dealer for diagnostics. Does anyone have any ideas. I k ow it is a short but I am baffled. Any insight should be appreciated.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Let the dealer sort it out for you - any suggetions we could offer would be redundant really. I don't recall any one here having encountered the problem before. But do let us know what the outcome is - it might help some out one of these days. Best of luck with it.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
Let the dealer sort it out for you - any suggetions we could offer would be redundant really. I don't recall any one here having encountered the problem before. But do let us know what the outcome is - it might help some out one of these days. Best of luck with it.
Thanks I will let you know
Old 07-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Good man - the SEARCH function here works pretty good, but I didn't see anything about that fuse anywhere.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Founding Member

Wire or harness is touching metal somewhere, probably by a bracket. Find the broken wire and this issue will be over.

Note:
Moved thread from Maintenance forum to Problems/Service forum.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Wire or harness is touching metal somewhere, probably by a bracket. Find the broken wire and this issue will be over.
On my under the hood harness, it was touching the engine, since my inspection revealed no damage, I took a piece of heater hose, slit it length wise & slipped it over the harness at that area, now it has very good protection.. Been there almost 4 yrs now.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:11 AM

Thanks again. It's at the dealer now so I should know something Monday. I will fill you in.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM

George Moore Cheverolet just called. It is a shorted wire in the injector loom. The wire that is shorted is bound up so they are going repair the short and rerout the wire so it does no happen again. The cost for the diagnostics and the repair is $197 plus tax. I would love to have saved the money but I am glad they found it besides who knows how long it could have taken. I am a little curious though how a wire in a harness that has never been touched could short out and need to be rerouted. There may be a lot more posts on here in the future. Thanks again for the info and I will always post here before a tow in the future.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 AM
Deceased

Glad to hear the found the problem, as to how it happened...it may have left the factory that way.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:11 PM

Had the same issue today. My issue was the harness was rubbing the lifting bracket on the LH side of the engine (toward firewall side). Re-wrapped the naked wire and put the harness back in some loom. FIXED.

Issue was right here

Quick Reply: Fuse #45 is blowing