Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Getting Flashed By Oncoming Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 PM

Headlamp Aiming
The vehicle has a visual optical headlamp aiming system. The aim has been preset at the factory and should need no further adjustment. However, if the vehicle is damaged in a crash, the headlamp aim may be affected and adjustment may be necessary. If oncoming vehicles flash their high beams at you, this may also mean the vertical aim needs to be adjusted. It is recommended that the vehicle is taken to your dealer/retailer for service if the headlamps need to be re-aimed. It is possible however, to re-aim the headlamps as described.

The vehicle should:

Be placed so the headlamps are 25 ft. (7.6 m) from a light colored wall.
Have all four tires on a level surface which is level all the way to the wall.
Be placed so it is perpendicular to the wall or other flat surface.
Not have any snow, ice, or mud on it.
Be fully assembled and all other work stopped while headlamp aiming is being performed.
Normally loaded with a full tank of fuel and one person or 160 lbs (75 kg) sitting on the driver seat.
Have all tires properly inflated.
Have the spare tire is in its original location in the vehicle.

Headlamp aiming is done with the vehicle’s low-beam headlamps. The high-beam headlamps will be correctly aimed if the low-beam headlamps are aimed properly.

To adjust the vertical aim:

1. Open the hood. See Hood Release on page 5-11 for more information.
2. Find the aim dot on the lens of the low-beam headlamp.
3. Measure the distance from the ground to the aim dot on the low-beam headlamp. Record the distance.
4. At the wall measure from the ground upward (A) to the recorded distance from Step 3 and mark it.
5. Draw or tape a horizontal line (B) on the wall the width of the vehicle at the height of the mark in Step 4.
Notice: Do not cover a headlamp to improve beam cut-off when aiming. Covering a headlamp may cause excessive heat build-up which may cause damage to the headlamp.
6. Turn on the low-beam headlamps and place a piece of cardboard or equivalent in front of the headlamp not being adjusted. Do not place directly on the headlamp. This allows only the beam of light from the headlamp being adjusted to be seen on the flat surface.
7. Locate the vertical headlamp aiming screws, which are under the hood near each headlamp assembly.
The adjustment screw can be turned with a 6 mm hex socket.
8. Turn the vertical aiming screw until the headlamp beam is aimed to the horizontal tape line. Turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to raise or lower the angle of the beam. The top edge of the cut-off should be positioned at the bottom edge of the horizontal tape line.
9. Make sure that the light from the headlamp is positioned at the bottom edge of the horizontal tape line. The lamp on the left (A) shows the correct headlamp aim. The lamp on the right (B) shows the incorrect headlamp aim.
10. Repeat Steps 7 through 9 for the opposite headlamp.

Reference: Pp 4-43 thru 4-45 2008 Chevrolet HHR Owners Manual
Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

^ x2 ^ Plus if you alter the suspension, ie: leveling or lowering, etc...
Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM

I get flashed all the time aimed right. Other night one vehicle and me flashed back and forth 3 times
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 AM

Mine are adjusted as low as they go....and I get flashed all the time still.

I do get flashed more that I'm lowered on cobalt springs.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Brewer13
Yea, I get it alot. Its the halogen lights, can't be avoided unless you want to change them. They're just brighter.
I haven't seen non halogen lights in decades.

I had to adjust one of mine after I bought it. It was up too high. Pull up to a wall at night about 20' away and you will be able to see the pattern quite well. Backside of strip malls are great for it.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Headlight adjustment is simple & can be done if minutes..
I always set mine myself.. So I know they are right..

Dealer tech may be in a hurry or having a bad day..Who knows ? Do it yourself & know what you have..

When I do get flashed at, (which is not often) there is usually a cop car hiding round the bend..

PS: When I see the cops hiding, I flash (warn) as many on-coming vehicles as I can too.. (old truck driver habits)..
Sleeper, I do that as well, at least during the day. At night, people think you are flashing them, so I tend to do it less at night.

87 silver Thanks for the post on how to aim. Can anyone tell me what the "aiming dot" is?
"2. Find the aim dot on the lens of the low-beam headlamp."
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM

The HHR only has one adjustment screw per headlight. You'll see it just behind the headlight under the hood. When you line up facing a wall, you will see which light is higher and you can level then out. I'd start there first. You'll be able to tell if they are now too low when you drive out.

Older sealed beams and some composite lights had "tips" built in for aiming. The HHR does not.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Headlight adjustment is simple & can be done if minutes..
I always set mine myself.. So I know they are right..

Dealer tech may be in a hurry or having a bad day..Who knows ? Do it yourself & know what you have..

When I do get flashed at, (which is not often) there is usually a cop car hiding round the bend..

PS: When I see the cops hiding, I flash (warn) as many on-coming vehicles as I can too.. (old truck driver habits)..
It is a nice thing to do to warn other drivers of the dreaded "hide-a-cop". But, be careful they can actually write you a ticket for warning other drivers.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
It is a nice thing to do to warn other drivers of the dreaded "hide-a-cop". But, be careful they can actually write you a ticket for warning other drivers.
What would the ticket be for?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
What would the ticket be for?
The one I was threatened with was "faulty equipment, headlight malfunction", which would lead to at least a mandatory re-inspection and in D.C. that is no pleasant task. I also heard (in published accounts in the newspaper) "interfering with official police investigation", and other such. And I always thought I was helping to slow traffic down just like the radar trap was supposed to, the officers seem to think that they are in the revenue enhancement business.

Quick Reply: Getting Flashed By Oncoming Vehicles