Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Getting water in driver's floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:58 PM

Getting water in driver's floorboard

Have an 08 SS and when it sits in bad rain events, the driver's floorboard gets water in it. Not flooded by any means, but it'll soak the carpet near the kickpanel pretty good. Dealer has taken it 3 times now and "fixed" it 3 times but it's wet again. Doesn't happen when driving through rain, just when parked. Any HHR owners had this situation and found the fix?

My dealership has yet to even get water to leak in so I'm doubtful they will ever fix it.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Had a problem on my '08 SS back in October. Enough water to get the driver side front and rear floor wet.

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Talked to service department yesterday and they determined our leak to be the drivers door area where the electrical harness attaches to the body. They used some kind of sealant but will have the car for a couple of more days. They ordered new carpet for it so that is what we are waiting on.
When they say they fixed it in the past what was done?

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-26-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:18 PM

If you have a moon roof, check the drain tube. The have been known to route to the inside instead of out twards the fender.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM

Need to check mine, just found that I have that same problem when I noticed a bad smell and couldn't seem to figure out where it was. Finally found that the floor under my drivers side floor mat was wet and causing the smell. Guess I need to get it in so they can check it out, but good to know to tell them to check the sunroof drain! Heard of the same problem on other cars as well.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:52 AM

It's ironic all the replies w/problems are SS guys....LOL. No sunroof for me.

So far they have resealed the windshield, replaced/sealed something in the cowl area, resealed all areas where lines/wires go through the firewall, and they replaced something on the drivers door. The last time in (when they did the firewall sealing) they actually pulled the dash completely out.

I too noticed the wetness the first time from an untracable "stink" in the car like a locker room funk. Stuck my hand under the mat and it was soggy.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by jonboyb
and they replaced something on the drivers door.
Find out what they did with this. If they just replaced the boot ask them to use sealant around it. Also, have they replaced the carpet yet?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 AM

It was not the boot. It was some sort of trim panel based on the invoice (unless that piece is named unusually). I just went out and pulled on the piece where the harness goes into the sidepanel/fender area and it's definantly not been sealed. It moves a little and I can feel the foam grommet behind it.

You are referring to the semi-triangular piece around the harness aren't you?

We're not chanign the carpet till the problem is resolved. They have been pulling it, shampooing, and then coating it in an anti-fungal each time.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 AM

I would have to go out and look at it and right now we are hovering around 0 so that is not going to happen but yeah it is where the harness attaches to the body. They sealed that up and I have not had a problem since. Once you are sure that the leak has been fixed I would push for new carpet.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 AM

They agreed to new carpet at the first appointment but they want to cure the leak first. Since I'm theoretically at Lemon Law limits now (if I wanted to...but I love the vehicle) they are bending over backwards to do anything they can. Refreshing but it would be nice if dealerships were always this willing to help
Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM

My 06 has the same problem. Didn't happen until after warranty, so I park with the nose downhill when expecting rain and it works everytime. I do believe its the boot in the firewall.

Quick Reply: Getting water in driver's floorboard