Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

GM's Un Kept Promise

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 AM

GM's Un Kept Promise

A while back I received a letter that I will be refunded for having my ignition replaced when the car could not be turned off. It is just under $400.00. I took the letter and my receipt to the GM dealer that did the work and the Service guy told me they could not give me a refund! So I called GM. I was told to take it to a different dealer and ask for a specific service person and it would be taken care of. I did this and he assured me it would be taken car of in 6 to 8 weeks. He also told me if I wanted to check the status I could contact him anytime. So after 8 weeks I started attempting to contact him. I left him messages and also contacted him by e mail with no responses. So Finally I didn't call him by his direct number buy used their regular number and they paged him. He told me he would call GM and get back to me in 24 hours. Well there has been no response. now last evening I get a call from GM that they are working on this and they are waiting for the Dealer to call them back! Well good luck on that! What ever happened to the customer comes first! I feel they should have issued the refund to me and they (GM) can work it out with the dealer. I have owned a lot go GM cars over the years including 11 Corvettes one that was brand new! I can honestly say that There will never be another GM car in my driveway again! By the way I have decided to sell my 09 HHR panel so If anyone is interested let me know!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by regor55
A while back I received a letter that I will be refunded for having my ignition replaced when the car could not be turned off. It is just under $400.00. I took the letter and my receipt to the GM dealer that did the work and the Service guy told me they could not give me a refund! So I called GM. I was told to take it to a different dealer and ask for a specific service person and it would be taken care of. I did this and he assured me it would be taken car of in 6 to 8 weeks. He also told me if I wanted to check the status I could contact him anytime. So after 8 weeks I started attempting to contact him. I left him messages and also contacted him by e mail with no responses. So Finally I didn't call him by his direct number buy used their regular number and they paged him. He told me he would call GM and get back to me in 24 hours. Well there has been no response. now last evening I get a call from GM that they are working on this and they are waiting for the Dealer to call them back! Well good luck on that! What ever happened to the customer comes first! I feel they should have issued the refund to me and they (GM) can work it out with the dealer. I have owned a lot go GM cars over the years including 11 Corvettes one that was brand new! I can honestly say that There will never be another GM car in my driveway again! By the way I have decided to sell my 09 HHR panel so If anyone is interested let me know!

Good luck with your next car.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 AM

Not trying to sound harsh but situations like that call for you to be persistent in the beginning and never let up. $400 is worth the extra phone calls week after week, day after day. You let it go almost 2 months before you tried to make any contact, that's all on you. It seems to me that the real issue is what you "didn't" do to make sure you recovered your money as GM promised. Now your wanting to fuss about the situation when you didn't do what should have been done. If it was $40, it'd be different.

Lay the blame on who ever makes you sleep better but in the end, it seems you didn't make the extra effort you should have.

As A&P said, good luck with your next ride.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 AM

It's a shame that a dealership can make situations like this so bad. When I had my SIlverado, I had to replace the wiper motor. Less than a year later, they issued a recall. I took my receipt to the local dealership and had a refund within 2 weeks.

It's not GM, it's the dealership that makes or breaks it.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
It's a shame that a dealership can make situations like this so bad. When I had my SIlverado, I had to replace the wiper motor. Less than a year later, they issued a recall. I took my receipt to the local dealership and had a refund within 2 weeks.

It's not GM, it's the dealership that makes or breaks it.
Amen on that..

However unfortunatly many people do not know how to handle problems correctly.
Granted though, the Dealer should follow thru and make sure legitimate issues
get handled properly.
I have found that if you are not getting proper service at your Dealership then try another Dealer or Call the 1-800 Chevrolet Customer Service dept. The whole phone number is in your Owners Manual.
Give them your Complaint/Problem. They will usually assign you a case number that you can refer to and get the issue resolved.
Once the Dealer see's that number, they know someone of authority is involved.
I could never understand why many Large Corporations on one hand spend so much money to get new business and then piss it away once they have it.
In there defense, they cannot always control all the people that are out there working on their behalf.

Last edited by Silverfox; 09-25-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 AM

GM is not allowed to OWN dealerships, so they are at the mercy of their franchisees for things like this. They can apply some leverage, but GM can not directly fix it. And, as stated more than once above, dealers are all different. In my experience, most will work quite well with customers on things like this.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM

Do you have a case number you can provide me with, regor55? I would like to see what I can find out for you.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Founding Member

Michelle, I think the problem might be that the dealership that has his receipts just had a management change. Might be lost in the shuffle.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by regor55
.... By the way I have decided to sell my 09 HHR panel so If anyone is interested let me know!
Sorry to hear that, I hope the $400 issue eventually works out for you. While I'm not currently solvent enough to buy your panel, I might be for the wheels ; )
Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Smile No problems here

I now have had multiple big things go on my HHR and GM Good willed it all.
out of basic waranty and they still stood behind it. GM owner for life now