Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Gotta Whopper Electric Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 PM

Gotta Whopper Electric Problem

Ok, This one’s a doosy on my 2006 LT 2.4L 175k mi. Stopped for taco’s and was gonna eat em’ in the car. Got in, the radio doesn’t turn on. Started it up and I get a DIC message “service airbag”, “power steering”. So, this just all of a sudden happened. No warnings.

Checked it out at home. On the inside fuse panel, I immediately blow fuse #23 (RDO 15A – Radio) ignition on or off. On replacing #26 (DR LCK 15A – Door Lock) on the inside panel, it take maybe a minute to blow with ignition on. Also, in the under the hood fuse panel, I blow #30 (PWR OUTLET 20A – rear / back seat outlet) and #62 (I/P IGN) when the ignition is on and it takes about a minute.

I have no power steering, radio, beeping warning or blinker sound, or windshield wipers. The engine light is not on. (It comes back on if I replace #62. It’s been on because it wants a new cat.) The air bag light is on. DIC only said “power steering” once but is still says “service airbag”.

Here’s the kicker. Day 2. Had to take my little trucklette to work. On my way home, sitting at the light for a left turn, my horn beeps and then starts blaring away!! Also, the rear window wiper is on full blast. People are blowing their horns back at me like I’m some kind of jerk. (Well, I can be, but not that kind.) Finish my left turn, pull over, and pull the horn fuse under the hood. I also pulled the rear window wiper relay. How weird was that?
Today I Pulled everything I could to look around. Nothing obvious so far.

Looked on here and all over the internet for a schematic. Can’t find one. Who has full schematics anymore? I’ll pay for it.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a dead short somewhere. Can be a pain to trace down. Since it seems to effect multiple accessories, I would suspect a main power feed to the BCM or underhood fuse box.

Someone should check in that can send you the wiring schematic.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:23 PM

I know right? Its hard to do without a schematic.

Oh, and I forgot Whopper was on here. I didn't mean that Whopper, I just meant big. lol.

Eh, have to go to sleep. Gotta take the poor thing to work tomorrow at 3am. Hope its not raining again.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:01 PM

Maybe masking one problem lead to another problem being masked.

Check your PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:29 PM

I don't know much about electrical problems but reading these incidents of horns blaring, I'm slightly worried on having a problem like this. My alarm did go off about 2 months ago for no reason.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by HHR 2.0
I don't know much about electrical problems but reading these incidents of horns blaring, I'm slightly worried on having a problem like this. My alarm did go off about 2 months ago for no reason.

You mean like when you lock the car with the fob then unlock with the key? That is a reason.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:13 PM

You know what, I did unlock it using my spare since I couldnt find my keys with the remote. I didn't think of that because my Remote pads were bad when i bought it so for the 1st month I was using the key to get in my car. I eventually folded some aluminum foil in the remote buttons but this was before it happened.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:18 PM

Hmmm, that happen to me too (alarm went off), but that was after this all started. (Day 2, morning.) I don't know how it could have been activated since the door lock fuse is gone. Maybe my better half hit the key fob. I didn't. Anyway, who knows. Its super confused right now.

I got some diagnostic plans and I will be sure to post back what I found.

BTW, when the horn went off while driving home, its just plain stuck ON! not like the alarm beeping.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 AM

Hey, has anyone come across how that under hood fuse box comes apart? I looked around and found no info. I can't figure how is comes apart. I'm trying with no joy. Its mysteriously held together somehow to me. I need to get to the harness connectors underneath.

I've disconnected the BCM, actually removed it to see all inside to track the harness run. I definitely have some power circuits going directly to ground, somewhere.

I've take apart as much as I can to see the harness run but its extremely difficult.

I need to look now on the engine compartment side. I struggled with that fuse box yesterday and I don't get what's holding it together. I can't find anywhere a break down of that fuse box.

Its been a bear also because of horrible weather.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 AM

Quick Reply: Gotta Whopper Electric Problem