Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Greasable poly sway bar bushing ?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Greasable poly sway bar bushing ?

So.... I can feel my front sway bar bushings starting to clunk (Much worse when cold). I don't want to have to get these things replaced every couple of years, so I'm looking into getting a greasable poly version.

The problem is to get the right dimensions to order the replacements up front. Has anyone done this yet or would I be the pioneer? I'll need bushing width, internal diameter and external diameter, if anyone has already gone through this.

Internal diameter should be easy: 25 mm
External diameter: ?
Width: I'll crawl underneath and measure when it's warmer if I have to.

Yves
Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 AM

Nobody ? I'm surprised. While I'm not doing it as a performance add-on, these things are supposed to tighten up the steering response.

After a bit of searching, I ordered a pair of greasable universal 1" sway bar bushings (#9.5161) from Energy Suspension. It'll be a while until I get to install them though; I have to wait for warmer and dryer weather conditions (April or so). I'll report back on the install/fit/feel then.

Yves
Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 AM

I have looked for these in the past without success. I would be interested in your results
Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 AM

Ive been having a squeaking sound especially when turning left after the car is warm. I may try these bushings as well.. I definitely want to go with a greasable bushing.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM

The parts came in yesterday, but I wasn't home when they attempted the delivery... so I'm picking them up at the depot tonight.

I sure hope that it's a compatible replacement, but I'm not 100% sure about it (being a universal part). If it is, they'll likely sell a bunch of them to cobalt, ion & HHR owners. My wife's '07 Ion needed the bushings replaced within the first year, so she might be next for another set once I test it on the HHR.

Stay tuned, but it'll be a while yet, 'cause I'm not crawling under a car in this weather.

Yves
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 AM

Looking forward to your results.... Good luck!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM

just because it says its universal, doesn't mean its universal. any luck yet?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by wysguy
just because it says its universal, doesn't mean its universal. any luck yet?
It'll be a while until I get to install them though; I have to wait for warmer and dryer weather conditions (April or so).
I've had a quick look and it looks promising. I know it fits the bar because it's the right diameter, but I was worried about available space above the bracket for the grease nipple; it turn out that there's plenty of empty space there. As long as the holes for the bolts line up (and the new brackets have elongated holes), I should be good.

There's a mild weekend (i.e. above freezing) in the forecast; I might crawl under there to measure the bolt spacing if the underside of the car is not dripping too much.

Yves
Old 02-21-2009, 01:54 PM

DreamHHR,
Are those bushings split or do you have to slide them on?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:45 PM

They are split, so putting them on only requires that you can move the sway bar up an inch or so, which can be done when both bushing brackets are off.

As an update, I tried installing them last week but got stuck on the driver side, as I couldn't get one of the bolt off. The bolt head is buried 2 inches inside a hole and my socket started slipping and rounding it. I ordered replacement bolts in case I have to drill it out. I did remove one side and confirmed that the new bracket will fit, so it's just a matter of waiting for warmer weather so I can try again.

Yves

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Greasable poly sway bar bushing ?