Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Green LED light

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 02:24 AM

Green LED light

Hello all!

My 2008 LT Panel may or may not have an electrical issue, I can't tell because I don't know if what it's doing is "normal" or not.

There is a tiny green LED light in a square black frame mounted under the dashboard on the driver's side, I've always thought it was an indicator to show whether the theft-deterrent system is set or not, but lately, I'm not so sure.

First of all, it is not shown in any of the diagrams of that area in the owner's manual. And the light is only on when the key is off, and it then never goes out, whether the alarm is set or not.

I only became concerned when I started traveling more and leaving the HHR for a couple of weeks at a time and coming back to a dead battery, even after replacing the battery with a new one. That little green lamp is the only thing that is visibly on all the time when the key is off, which could mean it is what's causing the battery to drain.

I hope this makes sense and that I'm able to attach the pictures. It's midnight here and I'm pretty tired. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

You can see the light near the center of the picture.

Last edited by Musky; 04-28-2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 04-28-2019, 05:31 AM

As far as I know, that's some aftermarket item. Not factory installed.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Yes that’s an aftermarket thingamagig, could be for an alarm, or remote starter, or something!
follow the wires.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 AM

Thank you for the replies. I was thinking it was after market, but there is nothing that I can find that has been added or updated. It has the stock audio system and the factory alarm as well as the remote start that is included with this model. The previous/original owner told me it was a "dealers special" and so it has custom rims and almost all of the options that were offered that year. Onstar but no Bluetooth which I hope to remedy in the near future.

Unfortunately, following the wire takes me to a large bundle of wires and disappears into it. I know the original owner bought the HHR to tow behind his motor home and there is a little "booster" circuit board in the left rear tail light assembly. So maybe this green LED light has something to do with some option needed to tow it? Would it be safe to just cut off the wire leading to this light?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Technical Moderator

Sounds like it is part of the tow brakes.

Look on the label on the glovebox door; I bet you find a "2LT" on it. That is the "fully optioned" model.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Sounds like it is part of the tow brakes.

Look on the label on the glovebox door; I bet you find a "2LT" on it. That is the "fully optioned" model.
You're correct! I just checked the picture I took of the label in the glovebox and it does include "2LT"
Old 04-28-2019, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Musky
You're correct! I just checked the picture I took of the label in the glovebox and it does include "2LT"
Well my 2008 2LT certainly does NOT have that light. Gotta be be aftermarket.

And fwiw: Your alarm when fully set, shows a flashing padlock symbol in the very left side of dash cluster, on the DIC section.. It should flash 1 time every 3 seconds.. It will be amber lighting in color.

If it flashes faster you do not have something closed all the way, like the hood for example.

And when you turn off the alarm, if the parking lights flash more than twice, something or someone has bumped or attempted to mess with your car.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:01 PM
Technical Moderator

I was just dispelling the car sales weasel talk of "Dealer Special". IIRC: 2LT had everything except a sunroof and that came on lots of them.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Well my 2008 2LT certainly does NOT have that light. Gotta be be aftermarket.

And fwiw: Your alarm when fully set, shows a flashing padlock symbol in the very left side of dash cluster, on the DIC section.. It should flash 1 time every 3 seconds.. It will be amber lighting in color.

If it flashes faster you do not have something closed all the way, like the hood for example.

And when you turn off the alarm, if the parking lights flash more than twice, something or someone has bumped or attempted to mess with your car.
Yes, the alarm works as you discribed it. Nice to see you again Sleeper, it's been a while.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Musky
Yes, the alarm works as you discribed it. Nice to see you again Sleeper, it's been a while.
Cool, & Thanks, great to see you again Musky, been too long..

Quick Reply: Green LED light