Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Grrrrr. Going to kick hubby's arse!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Grrrrr. Going to kick hubby's arse!

We went and picked up a couple of air conditioners for the house the other day. He put the gargantuan one in, and tried to close the hatch. Low and behold, it scratched the inside of the hatch...really deep. Anyone know how I can fix this, or at least make it not look so messed up? I am soooooooooo mad at him, haven't spoken to him in 2 days. Lol. Anyways, is there a filler or something to fix a problem like this? Thanks in advance. ~Kelly~
Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM

Forgive me, we just bought ours, and I can't remember the material on the inside of the hatch, plastic I'm going to assume.

OK, this is a bit dangerous, and if not done right can make it MUCH worse. Use a propane tourch. Just "brush" the damaged area with a quick pass or two, using only the very end of the flame. DON'T be tempted to do it any more than that. This method won't completely remove the damage, but it will melt the harsh edges of the scratch so that its less prominant. The only other real fix I know is to replace the panel.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM

You could take the panel off and take it to a upholstry shop and have it covered to match your interior.. That panel comed off pretty easy.. I think it would be a nice touch as well... Other than that I have no idea's.. Good Luck.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown

OK, this is a bit dangerous, and if not done right can make it MUCH worse. Use a propane tourch. Just "brush" the damaged area with a quick pass or two, using only the very end of the flame. DON'T be tempted to do it any more than that. This method won't completely remove the damage, but it will melt the harsh edges of the scratch so that its less prominant. The only other real fix I know is to replace the panel.
Please follow only the last part of that suggestion.

Or as stated already, have it upholstered.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 PM

A Green Scotch Brite pad can work to hide it in the area around. This can be difficult though but will take off the ecxess materail and "blend" it in.

I have done ot on the black plsatic part of my wife's bumpers after some scuffs with walls and it looks better.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:35 PM

Hey Kel,

I have used touch up to hide scratches in plastic. Just brush it in the gash. Some autoparts stores sell plastic repair kits that let you fill in wounds like that. If all else fails, I would start checking wrecking yards for the piece that is bad.

Don
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM

Mine has a few scratches on the seat back but thats why they made it plastic so I'm not to worried about it.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Honestly, no matter what ''you'' do, it will look still look like crap. Look in your yellow pages in the automotive section..look for '' vinyl repair, upholstery repair''. I worked in autoglass replacement for about 18 years and whenever we scratched up any interior plastics/dash/trim we called in a moibile vinyl repair expert. They can fix up damage to the point you would never know . If you cant find one in the yellow pages, go to a few large bodyshops and ask the manager who they might use .
Old 04-09-2008, 01:14 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by chadpuska
Mine has a few scratches on the seat back but thats why they made it plastic so I'm not to worried about it.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by chadpuska
Mine has scratches there as well, but this is a gouge. I just want to keep this car looking nice and in good shape, since I have to pay for it for the next 6 years.

Quick Reply: Grrrrr. Going to kick hubby's arse!