Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Had an ESC malfunction the other day

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM

Had an ESC malfunction the other day

I was headed home in a torrential downpour doing 70+ with traffic (wipers were useless) and all of a sudden the stability control light started flashing and then the car was dinging at me. The dash flashed "ESC is now off" then "power has been reduced".

So I'm thinking WTF? Then I thought, hmm call onstar.....but it's raining so dang loud they wouldn't be able to hear me. So I kept on driving but pretty much had no turbo boost. The rain let up enough I called and asked them to run a diagnostic which they did ( Ohhh she asked me to stand by while she probed me, I felt nothing, LOL). She proceeded to tell the usual BS about the ESC which I already know (but she doesnt know that). I ask her if there is anything I can do and she says if I can pull of safely, powering off the car and cylcling they key may fix it. well, no can do, 40 miles to the next exit which is 2-3 miles to get back on and I'm stubborn. She says she can transfer me to the diagnostic team (ohh, didn't know they had one!). The tech told me the TPS (throttle positioning sensor) on the engine didn't receive all of the expected signals from the TPS on the gas pedal so it turned the ESC off and reduced power to help prevent damage to the car and it's occupants.

Ok, now I'm impressed! This was one handy little conversation

It took a while abut I did manage to get off the highway and shut down the car. It was "funny" at first but cleared up. I get an oil change this friday and the dealer will check her over for me for problems.

Now nobody wants to have a problem with a car while driving but I will say I was 2 hours from home and it was nice to be able to get an explanation of the problem from Onstar

I did renew the subscription but I was questioning it. I don't anymore and will continue to renew it.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
TAZ

In many ways, cars were much better before they decided to try and make them so "smart".
Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Founding Member

I wish they still had a crank handle hanging out the frontend.