Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hard start when cold, no codes.HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:47 AM

Hard start when cold, no codes.HELP!!

I hope someone can help. My dealership is stumped. Starting yesterday, when I try to start my car, it tries to start, but takes several attempts before it catches then it stutters for about 15 seconds then smooths out. It seems that pumping the gas helps. It's not throwing any codes, no engine lights.
After it runs for 15- 20 mins, if i shut it off it'll start right back up but if it sits off for a couple of hours, it gives me a really hard time starting again.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:25 AM
geg

perhaps this is the spark plugs or air filter needs to be replaced.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:33 AM

Sounds fuel related. No way to tell without really being there; they should have already tested the Fuel pressure at the rail both with ignition OFF as well as ON but not running. The pump may not be priming itself correctly and as it sits pressure slowly leaks. Could also be some fluky battery thing as EVERYTHING is electronically controlled these days. Ask the dealership what they have tried already and get back on here.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
Sounds fuel related. No way to tell without really being there; they should have already tested the Fuel pressure at the rail both with ignition OFF as well as ON but not running. The pump may not be priming itself correctly and as it sits pressure slowly leaks. Could also be some fluky battery thing as EVERYTHING is electronically controlled these days. Ask the dealership what they have tried already and get back on here.
It just got towed back to the dealership. They said yesterday that They checked the battery, fuel pump, starter, checked for codes, everything was fine and since it starts right back up after you finally get it started and it's been running for awhile, they said it was fine and sent me on my way only to have the same problem again today. I'll let you know what they say this time. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Gotta ask.
Why did it get towed when in the 1st post you said it does start ?

Also, you said everything was fine according to the dealer. As far as codes, does that mean there were none showing ?

Fwiw. Posting the year, model and engine size would help us to give you an accurate opinion.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:54 AM

Is this a GM dealer. or a used car lot? When people say "dealer" we generally assume they mean "GM Dealership Service Department". The used car department at a GM dealership rarely uses the GM Dealership Service Department. There are different agendas.

Sounds like it's not maintaining fuel pressure when turned off. There is a check valve in the fuel pump.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Dirty throttle body, MAF sensor, gunked up fuel injectors several other problems can cause the hard starting also wrong spark plugs, intake valve seal leaks. Purge valve .
All should throw a code , so are there any pending codes??

Last edited by Oldblue; 12-30-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: My spelling guru told me to fix an error!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:03 AM

If the "dealer" is NOT of the GM Dealership Service Department then run. Although pricey, my local one is DAMN GOOD at diagnosing issues. I had a hard start/ no start issue over a year ago that turned out to be a simple battery issue. I told the Service Dept. I thought it may be fuel related and they were honest enough to actually diagnose the problem. Sure I paid the "stealership" diagnostic fee, but they checked fuel pressure and everything for me, knowing it was just the battery, just to ease my mind. They could have just as easily sold me a fuel pump and I would have been none the wiser. Others here have had bad experiences, though.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Gotta ask.
Why did it get towed when in the 1st post you said it does start ?

Also, you said everything was fine according to the dealer. As far as codes, does that mean there were none showing ?

Fwiw. Posting the year, model and engine size would help us to give you an accurate opinion.
It's a 2009 HHR 2.4 . It got towed because it was giving me a hard time starting and rather than pump the pedal and force it, I wanted the techs to hear and see what I was talking about. But they said when it got there
It started right up for them. They can't find any leaks. No codes. And once you get it started it runs fine. But after you them it off and it sits for a few hours, it's really hard to start and is harder every time so whatever the problem is, it's getting worse.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Dying cell in the battery

Quick Reply: Hard start when cold, no codes.HELP!!