Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Having issues putting in gas, dealership is insane

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 06:10 PM

If there's no CEL, the Tech is probably right.

The fuel limiter valve (maybe misnamed) is like a spring-loaded ping pong ball at the opening where the filler pipe enters the tank. If it sticks, fuel can't enter the tank. It's real purpose is to prevent slosh out - and uncontrolled fuel vapors.

In a dealership, that does mean tank replacement. It is part of the tank. An independent that wants to put some time into it may be able to solve this with some type of solvent. That valve shouldn't stick in any normal conditions, but something like that might work.

My previous position was in Supplier Quality for Fuel Systems at GM - 2012-2013 ish. I have held the piece in my hands for other platforms.

I hope to have at least educated you, if not saved you money.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:48 PM
Technical Moderator

If it is a full tank replacement
New tank MSRP $600 + 2.3 hours labor incl. transferring all of the bits. Still nothing like $2500, I'm sure a tank could be found for a lot less.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 PM

$2500.00 is probably code for "We don't want to work on your car..."
Old 08-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Administrator

I just searched HHR fuel tank and several wholesale sites show they are no longer available, maybe a used one is the best option
Old 08-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Technical Moderator

Ebay $300 free shipping. I bet the local yard would beat that.

But I get the feeling we care more than Leica does.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:37 AM

I may try the vent solenoid or "purge valve" just to see if that's the problem, the part is only $50 and worth a shot.

About the CEL....There is one, however my bluetooth reader couldn't come up with anything and the local mechanic I took it to said it came up as an oxegen sensor. Apparently the code for the purge valve is a P0449 and that is not showing up.

So if what Blue SS said is correct I may have a decent job on my hands. I'm more than capable of doing the work, I have dropped gas tanks before, just debating now whether or not to try the purge valve first to see if that might solve the issue.

Thing is, this is my mother in law's car, she has severe dementia and we needed an excuse to take the car away from her anyway. We will probably end up selling the car, and if it needs a new gas tank I may just sell it as-is.

[edit] is there any way rigging something to bypass the spring-loaded ping pong ball? Like shoving a hose down the filler neck attached to a funnel? If that could work I wouldn't even bother.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Leica

Thing is, this is my mother in law's car, she has severe dementia and we needed an excuse to take the car away from her anyway. We will probably end up selling the car, and if it needs a new gas tank I may just sell it as-is.

[edit] is there any way rigging something to bypass the spring-loaded ping pong ball? Like shoving a hose down the filler neck attached to a funnel? If that could work I wouldn't even bother.
It's not yours and I'm sorry for the woman. Sell it as "As is". Why go thru the steps to correct it? Just my opinion.
I really don't think there is away to jury rig a solution for the "ping pong ball".
Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
It's not yours and I'm sorry for the woman. Sell it as "As is". Why go thru the steps to correct it? Just my opinion.
I really don't think there is away to jury rig a solution for the "ping pong ball".
Well I was trying to think of a cheap solution for someone that needs a cheap car, it's been dependable otherwise. If sticking something similar to a beer bong down the fill tube would work why not?

Old 08-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Administrator

If the new owner rolls the car, you’ll be liable for tampering with the safety features
Old 08-02-2018, 07:09 PM

If you drop the tank, it's right in the neck, where the filler pipe comes in. I don't know the length of the HHR tank neck, nut most are short enough so you can see it, and maybe poke at it, and move it around. As I said yesterday, a solvent might work. Try something like Techron or Lucas fuel injector cleaner if you to try a DIY. Sticking is weird, and it should be "cleanable". If you do find that the spring is binding, so that it cannot function properly, you are done.

You might not even need to drain the tank, if it's not real full. But yeah, it's part of the tank, so the dealer is going to quote you a new one and has reason (because of buildup) to suggest a new pump/sender unit.

I work in Warranty, and I know this; dealers do not want returns for the same repair.

YOU can do as you like. One change at a time, since you seem to have some time available. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Having issues putting in gas, dealership is insane