Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

haywire

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 AM

haywire

I m having a problem no one seems to be able to help me with. this problem occurs here and their and goes away after I shut down my 2006 hhr. while driving my computer screen power steering pops up and hard to steer, also the transmission shifts ruff theirs clicking under the consul( automatic trans)and speedometer jumps up and down but maintains speed. get into the car after sitting its fine like it never happen but seems to be happening more often. called dealer they said bring in when it happens. I m a truck driver no time. anybody got any ideas or had this problem? thanks tom
Old 07-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Founding Member

Most likely needs a TCM (transmission control module). Or could be a fuse box under the hood. The P.S. shutting off may or may not be connected to this or may be a seperate issue.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Deceased

to the forum Tom!

Have the codes pulled and post them up here. I think ChevyMgr is onto something by suspecting the TCM, but knowing what codes your HHR has stored might provide some needed clues.

Also, check your underhood fuse box, it's a two part design so make sure that the upper half is firmly seated on the lower half.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM

no luck

i took my hhr to my general mechanic he said he couldn't t get the computer to respond at all, used two different scanners the computer wouldn't communicate no codes nothing. I don t want process of elimination to expensive any ideas anyone? my real question can the dealer tract problem accurately.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Deceased

The first thing to determine is if your mechanic's scan tools are "CAN Capable", older scan tools will not function with the Controller Area Network (CAN) on the HHR's leading to no communication between the vehicle and scanner. If he's unsure, a quick call to the manufacturers of the scan tools will give him the info right away.

You may want to head to your local auto parts store, their equipment is almost always right up to date.

If their scan tool is not able to establish a communication link with your HHR, you may have a failing ECM or PCM module that's leading to your issues.

Can your dealer be helpful, yes, as long as they have a good diagnostic technician on staff. Call the service manager and describe your issue, see how he or she plans to deal with it, and what the diagnostic labor will run.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

And don't forget to check the fuse that powers the diagnostic port. If it's blown you won't be able to connect your scan tool.
(sorry, I can't recall the fuse number)
Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM

It is the fuse for the "front power outlet" AKA front cig lighter.