Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Heat shield rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 02:11 PM

Question Heat shield rattle

My car has a heat shield rattle, diagnosed by a mechanic. This started right after I had the clutch replaced.
The mechanic who diagnosed it stated that nothing was rusted out down there but that it was loose. He said they may not be able to get the bolts off or tighten them, so he suggested a heat shield tape to hold it more securely.

the noise doesn't bother me except when I am in a drive in like at the bank. The mechanic stated that it essentially was an annoying problem but something that won't cause other issues. The things that the heat shield are protecting are secure and not moving.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Juneau
My car has a heat shield rattle, diagnosed by a mechanic. This started right after I had the clutch replaced.
The mechanic who diagnosed it stated that nothing was rusted out down there but that it was loose. He said they may not be able to get the bolts off or tighten them, so he suggested a heat shield tape to hold it more securely.

the noise doesn't bother me except when I am in a drive in like at the bank. The mechanic stated that it essentially was an annoying problem but something that won't cause other issues. The things that the heat shield are protecting are secure and not moving.
This thread has been dead for nearly three years. Are you trying to help, or do you want help?

Take it back to your clutch mechanic and have them fix their mistake...
Old 09-27-2019, 02:39 PM

Moved since this has nothing to do with the 3 year dead thread it was attached to.

Many mechanics think catalytic converter heat shields are frivolous. Just don't drive or park on any surface that can burn; the cat operates at around 600F, does the title Fahrenheit 451 mean anything? (the ignition temp of paper). I got a third degree burn scar to prove it.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:15 PM

Sorry. It was both a suggestion to help someone else and an issue I am having. I have no recourse with the dealership. My local mechanic stated that although everything is bolted, something is loose. To fix, I believe they would have to do a fair amount of work. They're suggested some heat shield tape to hold the part more securely. The 2006 HHR has got to be the biggest piece of junk ever made...but life goes on. Thank you.Sorry. It was both a suggestion to help someone else and an issue I am having. I have no recourse with the dealership. My local mechanic stated that although everything is bolted, something is loose. To fix, I believe they would have to do a fair amount of work. They're suggested some heat shield tape to hold the part more securely. The 2006 HHR has got to be the biggest piece of junk ever made...but life goes on. Thank you.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:16 PM

If it is definitely one of the heat shields I would say "do what you want, but be aware."

However if it is really the bracket that holds the air cleaner that broke that is an easy cheap fix, either buy a used one from a junk yard or have it repaired.

2019-2006=13 years, that's 100 years in people years. I remember a time when any car was over 8 years old it went to the scrap yard.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

I was going to offer a suggestion that has minimal cost, and works great, but since you figure the 2006 HHR has got to be the biggest piece of junk ever made, I won't bother.