Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Heater Motor Resistor Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM

Smile

My 2006 LT had the same problem until last week when the blower just stopped working at all.....it was a Cooooold ride in this morning.
I found the motor and resistor at Autopart Giant (AC Delco) for 157.00 with free shipping. I am going to attempt to change mine when they arrive. There is alot of info on the change out in these forums and feel confident the swap should go fairly easy.
The problem is with water coming in the cowl area, got to fix that before I put in the new one. You may want to look into that before changing your blower or resistor.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the info on AutoGiant. Seems like a good price with resistor alone being $40 to $50, depending where ya go. I'll pull that cover on the cowl and reseal the rubber with RTV at the first sign of any water getting in or in the spring when it gets warmer.... whichever comes first.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:53 PM

I have the same weather issue..........too cold and too old to be laying on the ground to get at the passenger side !!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Update on resistor

Cold & Old.... that would be me..

Resistor from NAPA, via Va., arrived this afternoon. Having previous "practice" at putting it in and pulling the old one out it took about a minute to swap the non working one for the new one. Works perfectly. No idea why it quit but there is no evidence anywhere of any water leaking in as I stated previously.

Just something to keep in mind that they can malfunction w/o any water present. However I will still pull the cowl cover piece off in the spring and check or reseal the rubber cover to prevent any future leaks.

Thanks agan to all for the advise and suggestions.

Last edited by skyeglen; 02-18-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo,s
Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by skyeglen
Resistor from NAPA, via Va., arrived this afternoon. Having previous "practice" at putting it in and pulling the old one out it took about a minute to swap the non working one for the new one. Works perfectly.
I work at a NAPA store and we get a good amount of customers with blown blower motor resistors usually 05-06 chevy trucks. It seems to me it is design flaw with them and tried to reinvent the wheel with the resistors in the first place.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM

Local NAPA dealer said he's only had a couple calls for resistors.. But, he's only been open a little less than a year. He will try to keep 1 in stock if he gets a couple more requests.

After 13 months and over 30,000 miles the resistor was the first $$$ I've spent on the HHR that was not my choice so I'm sure not complaining.... (Not counting oil, filters & regular maintenance items.)
Old 02-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by skyeglen
Local NAPA dealer said he's only had a couple calls for resistors.. But, he's only been open a little less than a year. He will try to keep 1 in stock if he gets a couple more requests.
Make sure it is the right one such as connector plug-in and mounts are the same and located on same spot before installing because most stores have policy on electrical parts if installed no returns/refunds. Sometimes they don't match haven't checked the listing on HHR to see if they match or not just a heads up.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 PM

Just finished mine tonite, new blower motor & resistor......fixed the collasped cowl heater box seal. What a lousy piece of design that is......the cowl seal had fallen into the cabin filter, there is a water level line on the resistor, the blower motor cover and motor are covered in moss or mold......Everything was soaked and it hasn't snowed in a week. Now, with everything changed and dried out..........the frickin fan still doesn't work at any speed.
I did take a piece of sheet stock aluminium and put it on my brake, making two light "X" patterns on the sheet for support. Then using the old patch as a template, I trimmed the aluminium about 1/4 larger than the patch, this piece covering the patch and sealed with RTV will keep the seal from falling in from snow or rain.
I gave up at dark at the fuse box, there must be a relay or fuse that is blown from the water damage to the motor & resistor. I can't understand why I have no power at the blower motor........but, that is an awful design...Chevy should fix everyone with the collapsed cowl heater box seal for free.

Last edited by Radssmith; 03-04-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM

Blower resistor failure is quite common now across the GM line.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Radssmith
Just finished mine tonite, new blower motor & resistor......fixed the collasped cowl heater box seal. What a lousy piece of design that is......the cowl seal had fallen into the cabin filter, there is a water level line on the resistor, the blower motor cover and motor are covered in moss or mold......Everything was soaked and it hasn't snowed in a week. Now, with everything changed and dried out..........the frickin fan still doesn't work at any speed.
I did take a piece of sheet stock aluminium and put it on my brake, making two light "X" patterns on the sheet for support. Then using the old patch as a template, I trimmed the aluminium about 1/4 larger than the patch, this piece covering the patch and sealed with RTV will keep the seal from falling in from snow or rain.
I gave up at dark at the fuse box, there must be a relay or fuse that is blown from the water damage to the motor & resistor. I can't understand why I have no power at the blower motor........but, that is an awful design...Chevy should fix everyone with the collapsed cowl heater box seal for free.
And shame on Shaheen Chevy in Lansing for wanting $469.00 last week when I spoke to them about replacing my blower motor from water damage and never telling me about the TSB on this. This board is full of great information, took me 20 minutes to find out how and why it was leaking and the TSB.
My wife wants an HHR, Shaheen Chevrolet will not be where it is purchased. Angry letter to them to follow.............
This past December, my fan quit working on any speed. It ended up being a fuse in the at the BCM. Dealership swapped it out when I took it in. Sorry can't tell you which fuse it was. If I had of know it was only a fuse, I would have just did it myself. But took it in since I still have a warranty.

This past Monday, they had to swap out the blower. It was starting to squeel...... Wonder if that is why the fuse blew the first time.......

Quick Reply: Heater Motor Resistor Question(s)