Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hello from Upstate NY

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Hello from Upstate NY

Hello all! I have a problem with my wifes 2010 HHRLT. She was comming from work last night when she said it lost drive. Motor ran fine just no go. The speedometer dropped to 0 and "power steering" popped up on the display. The odometer shows milage but is not increasing. The trip meter is showing ___A. I went to save her and I drove it around the parking lot. It seemed OK and I drove it 6 miles home. Shifted OK RPMs worked but not speedo. This morning she went to leave and it made it to the end of the driveway and would not move. I went out and retsarted it and it would move again. After a minute or so Itstarted making a weird buzzing noise from the transmission area and then no more movement. Shut it off restart and will move again for a minute or so then noise then no more movement. I have researched all over the net and have found Vehicle Speed Sensor(easy fix) Body Control Module(Not so easy). Any ideas?? Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM

Welcome to the site The best place to start is to get the trouble codes read and check the trans fluid level.

Just for fun check the battery connection at the under hood fuse box and make sure it's tight.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2014, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I disconnected the battery in the trunk and reset the computer, No difference. The connection under the hood is good and tight. I have a new Transmission Output Sensor coming in tonight. I am going to try that since she said that she was messing with the Cruise control when it starting acting funny. Advanced Auto Parts says online that this sensor has something to do with the power steering, Cruise control, Speedometer and I found a guy on youtube that was changing a Vehicle Speed Sensor on a mid 90's GM and stated that the sensor caused his transmission to shift funny. Sound like a good place to start. But input from you guys is welcomed.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 PM

Sounds like you like to take advice from "some guy" and throw parts at things. If that works for you, I am happy.

More likely, you have a problem with the under hood fuse box.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 PM

I fix appliances for a living...never listen to "parts changers" find someone who knows what they are doing. Trouble codes can help too...By the way there is almost nothing a mid 90s GM will have in common with this car
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Well the transmission output sensor was totaly chewed up. There was copper wire wound around the trigger wheel. I cleaned out the wire the best I could a installed the vew sensor. No change. Car continues to have a funny noise from the drivers side of transmission, kind of sounds like the torque converter is loose. It is going to the local GM dealer today. They are going to look at it this week.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:46 PM

Well, I'm confused. This is what a transmission output shaft speed sensor looks like.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Yes sensor looks almost the same. Just smash the end of with a hammer, letting all the copper wire and pickup hang out. Whats weird about the transmission is it seams to work work when its cold. But after a couple of minutes it starts to slip. Do you think that the sensor getting chewed up could have caused a dead short, spiking a control module? The tolerence between the sensor and wheel must be close, but would have caused it to get chewed up?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:44 AM

They gave me $3000.00 for it sight unseen on a 2014 VW Jetta Sport Wagon. I have never purchased a GM product prior to the HHR and I will never buy one again. I hate to go foreign but until the US starts to take some pride in their products and stop using inferior chineese componets. I may be forced to look at alternate brands (new Fords and Dodges look like junk too). I proudly drive a 2003 Ford (Mazda) Ranger. I purchased it new and I have 219,000 miles on it and if the frame holds up to upstate NY salt I will put another 100,000. Enjoy your HHR's
Old 04-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Deceased

Only $3,000?

Well they lowballed you there, but enjoy the VW, they are pretty nice. Especially with the 2 liter Diesel engine.

Don't be surprised when you come across the odd Chinese or Korean made components even on a VW, it's the way of the world these days.

In a global economy, the bean counters only see the unit price of 250,000 "Left Hand Threaded, Reverse Rotation, Muffler Bearings", they don't give a darn whether they come from China/Korea/Malaysia/Timbuktu.

Quick Reply: Hello from Upstate NY