Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HELP!! little all in one in here!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:26 AM

HELP!! little all in one in here!!

So i got a couple of questions i figured id knock out all at once

1. is the power steering pump failure under the chevy recall? i heard it is and would be nice to knock it out with the ignition one.

2. i bought my car used with 70000 miles at a lot could i or do i have the grounds to go in and get stuff covered under warranty at a chevy dealership.

3. ive been hearing a clucking noise in the front suspension and yes i searched it up read about it but what confuses me is that the driver side wheel has oil spread out thru the rim. a slow leak after a 20 mile drive i look inside the wheel fender and can see fresh oil splatered in the turning motion of the tire. looked at everything under and cant spot a leak? what could it be? and can the clunck noise and power steering be covered under waranty?
Old 04-20-2014, 03:56 AM

For the power steering recall, I believe you have to be having a problem with the steering before a recall repair can be done.

For your warranty all you should have left would be an emission warranty that only covers the cat. Convertor and the PCM for 8 years 80,000 miles. And yes the dealer will honor that

the clunk and oil spray could be related. Look at the cv boots and or struts for leaks.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Deceased

The recall campaign(s) will be performed at no cost regardless of mileage, and being recalls, they have no relationship to the original warranty.

No power steering pump on an HHR, they use EPS(Electric Power Steering). And as Lucky stated, there has to be a failure of the steering assist motor before that particular coverage would kick in. So unless you're getting a "Power Steering" warning on your DIC, nothing to worry about.

Lucky is also correct on the Emissions Warranty, that is Federally Mandated to run for 8 years or 80,000 miles on any vehicle offered for sale in the U.S.

The clunk and grease in the wheel well are classic signs of a failed CV joint boot. CV joints and boots do fail, and outside of the original warranty period, they fall under normal "wear and tear". So you're on the hook for that repair, and do have it checked and fixed A.S.A.P. Having a CV joint seperate unexpectedly can be an ugly thing, and it will disable your vehicle.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:30 AM

So my powersteering goes out every two months will that hold up with the dealer or does it hace to be completely out?
and just noticed this morning my HHR has 84K on it already WOW.
Since the clunk/CV joint and boot could be realated to the Power steering woulkd they fix that for free?
IF not any idea on a estimate to fix something like that?
thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

CV boot and joint are so far REMOVED from the electronic assist steering, I doubt if that will convince a dealer to repair for free. So, it will be your "dime". Can't give you any idea of the actual cost because I've done the last several boots myself, although not on an HHR.

Your steering.........have you ever seen a warning regarding the steering on the Driver Information Center? If so, you MAY have a code stored in the data system and COULD provide evidence to the dealer for the recall repair. Otherwise, I would say you would need to wait until the steering is totally non responsive before the dealer would repair.

But, you are placing the chicken before the egg. The CV boot and joint was offered as an opinion without physically seeing you vehicle. You should attempt some type of inspection to determine the nature of the oil/grease/ slick. But, I will say, if you jack up the car for a better look make sure you put some jack stands or blocks under the car....... as a safety measure..

Last edited by Snoopy; 04-21-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Hello White08,

I am truly sorry to hear you are having these concerns with your HHR. I will reach out to you via private message about your concerns.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Technical Moderator

New (rebuilt) axles cost about $90 each, they probably get about 1.5 hours labor each.