Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HELP ME, Connected battery wrong tried to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dtaylor83
ok guys the alternator is replaced. I am going to buy the tester. But the fuse back by battery is good still. Now the dash says "check charging system" and the battery light on dash is on, also the check engine light. Basically the battery alone runs the car till it runs all the juice out....So that's what is happening. Its running strictly off battery juice. Alternator is brand new, put in after "accident". OH and my brother did buy the new alternator..LOL
Ok. Your first post said no fuses blown. Now you state you did find one bad. Also, no mention of the relays.
I would suggest a complete testing of all fuses and relays.(not just a visual, but a test with a meter)

And, have you checked the(new) alternator output? It needs to be checked at the battery and at the alternator itself. If it shows it's charging, then you have to figure out why the dash readout doesn't recognize it's charging.
Maybe a fried ECM or BCM? Not really sure which controls the dash circuitry.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM

thanks for the down load info
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 PM

I'm going to get a volt/ohm meter. Where do I start, and do I need to start the car or just turn key to on position? Do I test both fuse boxes and all points between? I just need a little help guys. I can fix most mechanical stuff on cars(alternator, starter, etc...) Just haven't done a lot with the electrical aspect. Hope y'all can help. Thanks for the info you've already given..
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Ok I'm headed to get tester. I didn't check the replies before I posted last one. Thank u for the help
Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

I think your problem may be a bit too big to try and fix over the internet, without causing more problems. Others here may prove me wrong.

But, I'd suggest you take the car to either a dealership or a good auto electric shop.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:51 PM

I don't have the money to do that. I have no other choice but to fix it myself. Its good experience anyway. Trying to get into an automotive school right now. So with you guys help I can do it. Like I said before do I need to start the car or just turn key to on position?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dtaylor83
I don't have the money to do that. I have no other choice but to fix it myself. Its good experience anyway. Trying to get into an automotive school right now. So with you guys help I can do it. Like I said before do I need to start the car or just turn key to on position?
Not to be mean, but if you have to ask about starting it or not, well.....maybe you shouldn't tackle this yourself. If you're not at least a little bit familiar with automotive electronics, you could do more harm than good.

Fwiw.To check the alternator output, the car needs to be running.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
I think your problem may be a bit too big to try and fix over the internet, without causing more problems. Others here may prove me wrong.

But, I'd suggest you take the car to either a dealership or a good auto electric shop.
Yep to above suggestion !!!
Man that could be a bad thing in these new model cars . Wiring the battery bass ackwards is not good in any situation . Do yourself a favor and get it repaired by a professional .
By reversing polarity , the fuse will allow the current to pass through . Fuse will only protect from direct short OR a fuse will open the circuit when amperage has exceeded the rated limit of rated limits ..
We had this problem on a customer`s 57 Belaire . It kept smoking head units (3 new units ). We would check a new head unit on the bench and it would work fine . Install it in the car and a puff of smoke would appear . I checked the polarity with a Snap On CTS42V and it showed reversed polarity ( green light in the handle on positive lead ). Never would pop the fuse , but would reek havoc on the aftermarket electronics . Looked under the hood and there it was , reversed polarity at the battery ....... Learned a lot about reversed polarity that day and his mechanic .
Something took a serious hit in the HHR....
Alternator is good ... check
Battery is good ......Check
A big problem has occurred between the two causing the lights to trigger in the on board display .
Greg
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Not to be mean, but if you have to ask about starting it or not, well.....maybe you shouldn't tackle this yourself. If you're not at least a little bit familiar with automotive electronics, you could do more harm than good.

Fwiw.To check the alternator output, the car needs to be running.
YES to the ABOVE !!!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Me too. Blown up electrical systems are not the place to start.
Yes, you don't have the money to have a shop fix it. Do you have the money to replace the entire electrical system after you accidentally fry the rest of it?

Quick Reply: HELP ME, Connected battery wrong tried to start