Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Help! Need clarification on coil pack vs timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Help! Need clarification on coil pack vs timing chain

I have a 2006 Chevy HHR LT, 2.4L.
Im very concerned as to why my car is idling
erratically, and not starting as quick as it usually does.
I included photos of the P codes my car is throwing.
Engine made a terrible racket this afternoon,
but upon checking the oil i found it was almost bone dry. Oil
was changed and the noise stopped.
But the car still idles funny and not starting right away. I may install a new coil pack and
see if that fixes the problem, but how do I clarify beyond a shadow of a doubt whether or not the issue is with my timing chain.

Last edited by SweetTrixie74; 06-11-2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Technical Moderator

Your problem requires a new timing set, but find out where the oil went before you spend the money on the chain.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 PM

Hi Trixie, to the forums!!

It's not very likely that the problem is the coil pack. You've got fuel related codes also, which would possibly be the injectors.

It's the P0017 that is most concerning. The timing chain is probably stretched, and may have jumped a tooth or more. Continued operation could destroy your engine.

You could remove the valve cover and see how much slop is in the chain, you'll need to also remove the front timing cover to see if it is still "in time".

How many miles are on the engine? And why was it so low on oil?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the P0017 would cause most of the other codes, plus the line w oil issue.
It’s slow to start because the timing chain has stretched and or the front timing chain guide is broken, replace the timing and balance shaft chains and guides

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0017
Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 PM

Approximately 182,000 miles
Old 06-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350

It's not very likely that the problem is the coil pack. You've got fuel related codes also, which would possibly be the injectors.

It's the P0017 that is most concerning. The timing chain is probably stretched, and may have jumped a tooth or more. Continued operation could destroy your engine.

You could remove the valve cover and see how much slop is in the chain, you'll need to also remove the front timing cover to see if it is still "in time".

i have a slow valve cover leak (i changed my spark plugs a few months ago and found oil on my plug. Not seimming in it, but enough that the plug was fouled.). I was also over due for changing my oil since February. Things have been off the wall hectic, and it got neglected......
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350

I am leaning towards the timing chain as the main issue... I was just hoping that’s not the case. I do work on my car myself, but I don’t have a garage, and last time I did a timing chain was on my 73 Charger 19 years ago. Im not confident enough to do the timing chain on my HHR myself, and don’t have the money to pay a mechanic labour. Double edged sword...
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 AM

We told you this already on the Facebook group LOL
Old 06-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Administrator

It’s rather easy my friend,

No real special tools required, just patience and a cold one afterwards!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
It’s rather easy my friend,

https://youtu.be/WYivvyXQK9Y

No real special tools required, just patience and a cold one afterwards!
that definitely does look easy with the engine out of the car and you can see / reach everything easily. I don’t have access to an engine hoist or an engine stand. I don’t have access to a garage for that matter. How much difference do you think there is between the 2.4 in a 2.2? Because if push comes to show of I may have to do this.

Quick Reply: Help! Need clarification on coil pack vs timing chain