Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

help the newb... please! trans & remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 PM

Question help the newb... please! trans & remote start

Hi Im Jason i have a 07 HHR 2LT 2.4 w/ auto trans. and about 47k on it.

I have a few issues,
First issue is I got ran off the road and into the ditch and hit a buried railroad tie that was under the snow, with the rt. front wheel. It broke the knuckle, and c.v. shaft, bent the strut and lower control arm.

i went to the salvage yard and picked up a complete rt. front suspension assy.
i replaced everything in the rt. front. then had a 4 wheel align done. all was good and in spec.

my question is that when the axle got pulled out of the trans durring the accident i noticed some(maybe half quart to a quart) of trans fluid in the snow.

now i cant find where to add the trans fluid thats missing, dealer said to bring it in and they will do a flush and fill for $89.99(local trans shop said 49.00) and that these trans cant be serviced by the customer... is that true?

also i haven't been diving because when i make a medium to fast rt. turn under acceleration i get higher rpms and no more power until the vehicle is level and the wheels are straight again. no low trac light on the dic either.
so i believe the trans is slipping due to low trans fluid level.

Second issue is that my factory remote start don't work, it wasn't working before the accident.

I lock the doors with the remote hit the start button and the horn honks at me 3 times and flashes the parking lights 3 times but no start.
I tried new batteries in both fobs and left the car battery disconnected for 3 days when i was out of town. and no luck.

I was told that maybe the hood safety switch on the hood latch could be out of whack or bad all together. what do you all think?

also i have NO service light on at all.
and im at 47k for mileage so warranty is out.

can anybody shed some light on these issues for me?

thanks in advance!

btw. if anyone on here is on jbody.org im Flaked Z-Fire on there
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM

oh and there is no slippage under straight line acceleration only when turning right and maybe a little when i turn left but deff. not as bad.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Hey man, Tough break on the accident, glad you are ok...

As far as I know, the salesman that I dealt with (pretty knowledgeable) said that both the auto and manual trans are completely sealed unit so unless you have a flush and fill unit than you cant do it. I would take it up to the shop that offered to do it for 49 bucks.

Also the car will NOT start automatically with the hood open... (Believe me I tried ) something must have jarred the hood safety thing in the crash.

Good luck with the repair and welcome!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by hhrguy07

now i cant find where to add the trans fluid thats missing, dealer said to bring it in and they will do a flush and fill for $89.99(local trans shop said 49.00) and that these trans cant be serviced by the customer... is that true?
$49 is a good deal if you want to add a bottle too see if it helps there is a black cap little smaller than the engine oil fill cap.Unscrew it and add some there is no way to tell if you have too much or too little they are filled by weight at the factory.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 02-14-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 PM

Yes you can add fluid to the trans. there is a post on here somewhere on how to do it. you add through the vent tube and there is a plug you take out and when it is full fluid will drip out . reinstall the plug/bolt and your good... Yes the slipping seems like low on fluid!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:01 PM

This my help You my have to copy these over and enlarge them to read them. this is out of the GM service data sheets.
Attached Images     
Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 PM

Thanks to everyone so far! sooooo much help!
thank you again
Old 02-15-2009, 12:21 AM

i think those are to small to resize and be legible.

anyway to get larger ones from you?

thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 02:51 AM

ya know i am just sitting here cant sleep thinking about ****.
and i just realized how much stuff you can actually remember from a situation like that even if it was a second or less.

i remember that it was a red 1995 or so dodge ram(didnt have clear h/lamp lenses yet) black body mldgs with chrome strip, it had BFG all-terrains on it and i think 33" or 35", left tail lamp broken with red repair tape on it, some kind of university sticker on back window, rust over left rear wheel well, exhaust hanging in front of rear axle, a clear polycarbonate snow plow and a big chrome nutsack dangling from the trailer hitch......(im in wisconsin.)

but at the time of the accident i was more worried about my damn car thinking it was worse off and than it was. so far it has cost $125 for complete used susp. assy. and they "gave" me the fuel door. I=labor...$ idk.

ahh f' it. lol

i took an ambien CR about 2hours ago.. when will it work?
its the first time i ever took a sleeping med. for the last half hour i have felt like my whole body is slightly hummig... wtf?\

Last edited by hhrguy07; 02-15-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: naughty word :)
Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 AM

if you copy it to your document you can enlarge the page. I don't know how to make it bigger with in this site.

Quick Reply: help the newb... please! trans & remote start