Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR 2007 code P0017 and C0045

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Well, then why do you have a code indicating a timing chain?
That's what I asked to the mecano. If I understand correctly, the timing chain code only came when the car was hot, the mecano said that when it is hot the full system is taking control of the car and if the system is not electrically juiced properly it can gives all sort of error and makes the engine goes rough. I will know tomorrow. When that is solved maybe it can be archived to help other owners solving an eventual problem related to a very old battery.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Trust me that P0017, is a stretched chain, not anything to do with the battery. Usually it’s the front guide is broken.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

In other words what they are trying to get you to understand is that you have two problems:
- P0017 - meaning the timing chain needs to be inspected as it is likely stretched and needs replacement
- the electrical issues as described in POST #8 - likely means you have a battery problem - especially since it is 13 years old!!! It needs to be tested as in post #9 along with the alternator
Old 05-25-2019, 07:59 AM

Where ever next door is, there will be an HHR for sale cheap soon if they don't replace the chain. My guess is it's beyond inspect.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Administrator

New timing chain, and I’d be looking for a new mechanic.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, What do we know. We're just a bunch of folks on a website, sitting at home on our phones or computers.
Besides that. What is a Mecano ? Google only shows a Spanish pop band for that word.

I'm out.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Ya got it wrong FMG (he with a long name) - Mechano is an out-of this world mechanic in your language - a mechanic who is outstanding in his field. :)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:49 PM

I found this:
All of the electronics depend on a constant supply of voltage and the heater, AC, Lights, radio etc. do as well. When the current draw from the battery becomes critical (a weak battery sooner) then the alternator kicks in to supply voltage back to the battery (charge). A weak battery will cause the alternator to run more and wear out sooner. Plus the alternator running will put a drag (slight) on the engine and will lower fuel economy.

Can someone please explain what a drag (slight) is?
Old 05-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Technical Moderator

A load like turning the AC on.

We know what we are talking about. Your battery may be dead. That has nothing to do with the timing chain.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:39 AM

Ok we bought a brand new battery and alternator and that did solve that last problem. No it had nothing to do with the p0017 problem. My battery was just too old and also the alternator was apparently dead because we tested it with an alternator amperage gauge and it was not rejuicing the battery at all.

Now back to the topic, we knew that their was a lot of sludge inside the engine so we tried the engine treatment Rislone, that is a conditionner and cleaner, and so far it seems to work pretty good... we still unsure if that is solving the problem but so far the engine did not go rough when idle and the car seems to run better, I won't say it is fixed yet but if that can solve the problem for a few pennies I am gonna take it.

The P0017 did not return, now I have a P0014. I am gonna erase the code and let the treatment works more and see if that goes away once and for all.

Also what you guys think, I found another 2007 HHR for less than $800 locally, I often wish to buy another one for parts and repair. Would that cost less on the long term if I want to keep that hhr for many years to come? In only one month I think I have spent close to that amount of money to repair my hhr, I recently had to change 4 wheels, battery, alternator, camshaft solenoids, that and my windshield is cracked and I do not know when the rust will start eating my seat. What else... I am perhaps losing a small bit of prestone.

Pure joy.

Oh and lastly, I need the shema of the engine please in case we need to replace some timing parts. I will let the mechanic do that. Thanks!

Last edited by ScareDe2; 05-30-2019 at 01:20 AM. Reason: missed last information

Quick Reply: HHR 2007 code P0017 and C0045