Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR electrical issues TCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 03:10 PM

HHR electrical issues TCM

Hi I am new to the forum I hope someone can help me with this issue. I have a 2006 Chevrolet HHR LS. 2.2L I have currently read almost all the issue on the TCM , electrical issues, transmission issues etc, and have tried to repair my car but nothing so far has worked. I'm going to list my issues. power steering out not working light on dash., door locks intermittently locking and unlocking, outside temperature sensor not working, traction control light on solid vehicle in limp mode won't shift out of first gear, sunroof not working, back hatch door won't open. Car will start and run and move all be it not to well, List of things I have done so far. Replaced the battery 48 hour ago, Checked all fuses under the hood and in the console. Remove all terminals on battery. Then removed fuse box and connectors module. Looked for signs of arcing bent pins etc. cleaned with electra clean and put small amounts of dielectric grease on all pins. Reinstalled. Cleaned power terminals at fuse box and touch of dielectric. Removed connector for TCM and checked for same issue nothing found repeated process of clean and dielectric on pins. Removed all connectors on ecm unit and did the same looking for wire problems with pins wire etc. non found cleaned and dielectric used. Reinstalled everything and reconnected battery. Still have problem. read in some thread about potential ground loss to tcm fabricated wire and installed exterior ground to TCM to frame. Still did not work. Checked and clean as many ground connections as I could find on car still not working. Code is U0101 only thing I get. So i did more research on line about TCM found an article that says how to check for continuity of ground on the TCM. Says to check pins 9 to 69 on the TCM for continuity I don't know which pins are those on the module. as there is 54 pins. I trying to determine if module is bad or I have a loose or broken wire somewhere. Can anyone help!!! Going crazy!!!
Old 07-16-2021, 04:02 PM

This how to narrow down which module is causing the problem:

Usually it is a loose/corroded wire supplying either power or ground, sometimes the bus wires.

Get rid of that stupid ground wire, it is dangerous.
Old 07-16-2021, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the quick reply appreciate it immensely will start working it tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:49 PM

HI Don just check the car Terminal 4 to 16 or ground to 16 =12.7V
Terminal 5 to 16 or ground t016 =12.7V
Terminal 4 to 6 or ground to 6 = 2.53 Volts
Terminal 4 to 14 or ground to 14 = 2.34
Terminal 6 to 14 = 62.5 ohms
The only things out of the normal 2.53 said should be 2.7 and the 62.5 ohms should be 60 +-1
What do you think? Thanks
Old 07-16-2021, 10:48 PM

In this case the only important one is 4 to 14. Strange result because U0101 means that one of the modules is not communicating.
U0101 usually points to the ECM. Your symptoms would lead me to something in the fuse box. You might consider a junkyard fuse box, they seem to run about $15, but make sure the fuses are in the right positions. The box itself is used in many applications with different external configurations.

A member recently found that you have to get to the point where you think you are breaking something then go 8 more turns when reassembling the fuse box.

Position #11 under hood must be empty for the hath to lock.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:39 AM

Hey good morning after reading your post decided to do more checking. So I rechecked all the fuses in both fuse blocks and verified correct positions. Apparently during this process of checking last time in the hood fuse box I inadvertently put the fuse for the lift gate and sunroof in an empty slot next to the correct one. So that problem has been fixed and verified. So the lift gate and sunroof now working, we can take them off the list. As far as the fuse box itself I remember when I had it out last time for cleaning checking and dielectric the plug next to the fire wall came out with the module and did not stay in the box below. So I took it off the module for the process of cleaning etc. and placed it in the box I tried to snap it in the box below but it would not stay in place. Upon replacing the fuse module back in place I put that connector on the module fist them put the remainder in their proper places on reassembly. I remember when tightening the screws the snapping sounds and then tightening then down more. However the bolt to hold down the connector by the firewall never snapped down but I know I have it tight. Checked it all again this morning seems OK to me. The current problem sounds a lot like the thread for a grounding issue on the TCM in this forum. However I tried the fix for that problem with a separate wire to ground from the car to the module and it has not worked. Being it seems like the TCM is grounded what about the power side connector to the TCM maybe its not getting power??? or maybe the TCM is bad??? I have put some more research on this issue in a link below and from what I read it says you can check the TCM grounding circuit by checking continuity on the module between pins 9 and 69. On another thread in this forum just found a list and their locations for all the grounding point on the car. Thinking about removing them all cleaning and checking for damage and or corrosion. Oh and I did not have the battery terminal off when checking ohms yesterday between pin 6 and 14 the correct number now is 60.5 ohms

https://www.engine-codes.com/u0101_chevrolet.html
Old 07-17-2021, 01:38 PM

Why are you focused on the TCM? GET RID OF THE EXTRA GROUND, youtube is trying to fry your TCM. Wouldn't it be easier to test for continuity from the TCM case to ground? Likewise ECM to ground?
Re list the symptoms, adding some punctuation and spaces. I probably misread some of it. Cataracts, computer screens and walls of letters.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:11 PM

Have all recalls been done? The power steering has nothing to do with the TCM, recheck it's fuse and the smaller red wire on the fuse box near the firewall; should be 1 wire there; 2 on the front connection. Limp mode turns performance things off, so don't worry about them. 60 ohms means all of the modules are connected to the bus.

The one thing that the temp sensor has in common with some of the other symptoms is low ref (digital ground). That comes from the ECM.

What happened just before all of this started? A jumpstart?

I got no idea what he means by pin 69.

Last edited by donbrew; 07-17-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:04 PM

This happened in the past 2 or 3 times in a year, took it ti the garage they erased the codes was ok on and off for that yea,r until this happened. Took it to a transmission shop they had it for three months have no idea what they did, tried or even if they jump started the car. Finally told them, that's it, and got the car back. From my stand point,, all the time I have had the car, 12 years never jump started under hood, always at battery. No idea about pin 69 either that's why I asked.
Should I check port 34 for battery voltage in the wiring and how much should I see?
Should I also check the plug that connects to transmission? Going to wait for your reply?
Also if you still think it is the Under hood fuse block will get and replace from junkyard?
All the recalls I ever gotten have been done.
Checked the wires you asked about in fuse box yep 1 red towards firewall and 2 wires on 2nd post. These were have been all cleaned, dielectric grease and tightened.
Check power steering fuse big 60 amp stabs no issues and checked continuity good.
Checked power steering fuse on BCM 2amp no issues continuity good. No change to power steering,

Not an easy fix that's for sure.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:50 PM

Link to check recalls
Port 34? Battery voltage is .....battery voltage, whatever it reads directly from the battery.
Is there power to the fuses? You can check through the pin holes on top of the fuse.
Check all the wires in the engine bay for wear etc.

Quick Reply: HHR electrical issues TCM