Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR Misc Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:42 AM

HHR Misc Problems

Good morning all! I actually signed up on this website earlier today for an un-related matter. I was checking to see how to replace the manual shift knob on my 06 HHR. The silver knob has flaked a ton and actually popped off!

Sadly, I wish that was the reason that I am posting now.

For the last few months, my blow has not worked on settings 1-3, only on high. After researching, I determined this was more than likely the blower resistor. (Just from googling thos forum. I'm not mechanical in nature).

Today, I washed my car. After washing it, I went to the store and noticed the blower wasn't coming on at all. I blew a little cold, but I couldn't hear the fan coming on like normal.

I've also noticed for the last few months that there has been a squeaky sound coming from under the passenger side dash while the blower was running. We call it the "little birdie in the dash" because it sounds like a chirp more than clicking.

Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Deceased

First off, to the forum!

Now on to your blower motor/resistor issue. You probably have a cascading failure with a water leak as the root cause.

Early HHR's feature a butyl rubber patch in the cowl area, they can fail and leak. When they do, you'll either have a passenger side footwell full of water, or you'll start having blower motor issues.

Here's a thread on the patch and how to fix it.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/fixed-my-water-leak-last-night-14263/

Also included in this thread at post #19 is info on the motor resistor.

This thread details replacing the blower motor.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show....php?t=18419#9

Hope this helps.

P.S. Where in Carolina do y'all hail from, I work in DC but live in Kannapolis.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the welcome! We live in the Wilmington area. Do you know where that is? Kannapolis is up near Charlotte isnt it?

How tought of a job is this? Can i tacjle it myself or should I take it to a shop?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Replacing resistor is easy, fixing butyl patch is easy, replacing fan motor is probably beyond you unless you are up for a learning challenge.

You might also check the cabin air filter, replace it if you never have and check underneath it for debris. Check your Owner Manual for directions on replacing the cabin air filter.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Deceased

If you're mechanically inclined, or just like to tackle projects, I'd say it's about a 6-7 on the 1-10 scale of HHR repairs. Working upside down under the dash isn't any fun.

Your dealer or mechanic will be set up to do the work if you aren't inclined, or don't have the time.

Yeah I'm familiar with Wilmington, it's really nice down there. Ever eat at the Front Street Brewery, their "Mile High" sandwich is gooder than good.

Kannapolis is twenty minutes northeast of Charlotte, close enough to be in our backyard, but far enough away to avoid the high taxes and stupidity.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks guys. I just went out and took the flap off below the glove compartment revealing the blower. As you guys guessed, water city!

I guess me washing the car introduced a high enough pressure for it to finally leak through!

Looking at advanced auto parts, I found a generic blower motor that may fit this car.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...907#fragment-4

Is there any harm with using this one over the "garunteed fit" one? It's about a $60 difference.

I called a local mechanic who said he would install it and the resistor for about $65
Old 06-09-2013, 01:22 PM

It will not work!!!!!! The blower is molded into the housing, it must be cut out. The replacement part includes the screws etc needed to install it. Check one of the GM parts stores on the web, I doubt that anyone else will have the EXACT part, and in this case you do need exact.

Check your PM for some help.

Last edited by donbrew; 06-09-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 PM

A hint is to shop on line for a price then go to your local dealer and show it to them. GMpartseast has the blower for about $124 + shipping/dealer price $210. http://www.gmpartseast.com/chevy/com...5mn51as46.html

Once you get the part number google it ebay usually gets good prices.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:43 PM

Is this one usable? It's listed as an "exact fit" http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...15019|L3*15907
Old 06-09-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jimi
Is this one usable? It's listed as an "exact fit" http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...15019|L3*15907
It says it is. When I first checked I had my 2011 as my default vehicle, for some reason it says "no" for it. Might be that the Advance book still won't admit that a 2011 has one.

Just for kicks throw that part number into ebay, you might find a deal. Yep, $78.58 free shipping.

I think I'd go with a GM part though after reading the reviews.