Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Hhr problems, not starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Hhr problems, not starting

Let me begin, I'm disabled, I know nothing about cars except driving but I don't wanna get screwed if I'm taking this to a shop. Yesterday got in and it wouldn't turn over. Radio dashboard lights all work. Battery tested. Steering wheel is pretty much locked up but I'm guessing that is the power steering. The service airbag warning came up. Is that any clue? I know there was a ignition recall, but someone said this doesn't sound related but I just have a bunch of mismatched facts so I hope I'm not too terribly annoying.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:12 PM

Welcome!

Did it simply do nothing, or did you hear a clicking sound?

How was the battery tested and who tested it? Auto parts store testing usually isn't done right. Did they tell you how many volts it was holding? It should be 12.7 or above.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Welcome!

Did it simply do nothing, or did you hear a clicking sound?

How was the battery tested and who tested it? Auto parts store testing usually isn't done right. Did they tell you how many volts it was holding? It should be 12.7 or above.
No clicking, when I turn it over everything turns off. There might be a slight noise but nothing like I've heard on videos about clicking. Almost like a hum for a second. Not sure on the volt. My brother and law took it but I'll ask
Old 11-05-2019, 04:43 PM

You have a dead battery if the steering wheel and key are locked and the security icon on the dash is lit.

A power steering failure doesn't lock the wheel.

Why sleep on a 5 year old SAFETY RECALL? Want to die?

IF the power steering malfunctions there is an extended warranty, free replacement, for the life of the CAR.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You have a dead battery if the steering wheel and key are locked and the security icon on the dash is lit.

A power steering failure doesn't lock the wheel.

Why sleep on a 5 year old SAFETY RECALL? Want to die?

IF the power steering malfunctions there is an extended warranty, free replacement, for the life of the CAR.
I wasn't the original owner, my father was. He was elderly, don't know how often he would of check any notices. I only found out from a Google search. If it's a dead battery I don't understand why the radio, and lights come on? The battery was tested. Is there something I should be looking for
Old 11-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, X2 about the dead battery, if it’s below 12.4 volts , it’ll run the radio and headlights, but won’t start the HHR.
Please, after you address the battery issue , go to any GM dealership and get the ignition recalls done. Ask about the Electric Power Steering extended warranty also , there should be no charge .

My 2007 had a very similar problem and it was a dead cell in the battery, it died even after a drive from Buffalo NY to St Pete’s Beach , Florida.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, X2 about the dead battery, if it’s below 12.4 volts , it’ll run the radio and headlights, but won’t start the HHR.
Please, after you address the battery issue , go to any GM dealership and get the ignition recalls done. Ask about the Electric Power Steering extended warranty also , there should be no charge .

My 2007 had a very similar problem and it was a dead cell in the battery, it died even after a drive from Buffalo NY to St Pete’s Beach , Florida.
Would the battery at let's say a auto zone test as good but actually something wrong? I physically wasn't the one there because I use hand controls so I couldn't be the one.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:41 PM

My brother in law said autozone just told him it was good, didn't see the voltage.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Ask him if they checked at the battery in the spare tire well or under the hood ?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

If the battery was checked at an auto parts store, there should have been a print out of the results.
You should have it checked again AND get the printed results this time.

Have you tried either jump starting or charging the battery ? If it starts doing one of those, then that would point to a battery issue.

Quick Reply: Hhr problems, not starting