Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR SS FAN will not run even after replacement of new assembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 05:30 PM

Cool HHR SS FAN will not run even after replacement of new assembly

Hello everyone,

Having an odd issue that I’m hoping someone here is familiar with and can either let me know what it is or point me in the right direction.

I have a 2009 HHR SS with just over 118,000 miles, for the most part it has been a reliable car and enjoy driving it, peppy and handles very well.

I’m going to give you the full story here so please pardon the length of this post, first issue was just a couple of weeks ago where it began to leak fuel, first I could smell it and the next day I noticed a stain in the driveway so I began looking around and saw where it was leaking from which was over the driver side rear wheel well tucked off to the side with the brake lines, Upon further inspection the lines were literally rotting away and had two different spots where it was leaking from. I ordered the replacement lines from lines to go and replaced them on a Saturday morning, spent a good 6 1/2 to 7 hours doing this but once it was complete I had no leaks no odors and all was well. That is until Monday, Monday on the way to work again all seemed fine but on the way home I had a totally different issue where the car overheated. I gave you the full back drop on this with the first issue even though I do not believe they are related but it was an odd coincidence so I though it might end up being important.

I first noticed that the air coming from the AC vents seemed rather warm and started to think I might need to check the refrigerant charge. Several minutes later the dash temp overheat indicator turned on and I noticed the temp Gauge was at about 2/3 of the way up and it’s normal below half, I switched over to the digital temp readout and it was at 248. Switched the heat on high and the temp began to drop as I kept driving and hovered between 215 and 220.

When I got home I let it cool and went out after a couple of hours to check and found that the Fan was not running, as the temp came up around 185 the thermostat opened and the radiator hose on the drivers side of the motor got hot quickly, at this point the Fan was still off so I turned on the AC and still nothing from the Fan. The temperature kept slowly rising and hit 215 and then 220, at 223 with the Fan still not on I shut off the AC and turned on the heat full blast which cooled it down until about 208 and I shut it down at that point.

Next morning checked the Dex Cool antifreeze in the radiator and it was full, the expansion reservoir was about 2/3 full. The Fan has a built in Fan Control Module, I disconnected the connector from the module and measured 14.4 Volts between the two large Pins and there’s a smaller pin in the center if I measured between that pin and the large Black wire at one of the two large Pins it read 0 Volts and between the small center pin and the large Green wire at the other large Pin it read 14.4 as well.

At this point with voltage there I made the assumption it was a bad Fan Control Module and I looked online and found the whole Fan assembly including the Fan Control Module for just over $180 at CarID.com, link below, I ordered and two days later it arrived. Installation took about 40 - 45 minutes and all went well, when I was all done tested and I’m back to the beginning, Fan does not run with AC on, it does not turn on when the temp hits 185 - 190 which is when the thermostat opens up, nothing at 215, 220 and I shut it down after turning the heat on and dropping the temp below 110.

I’m all out of ideas and don’t know what I’m missing ?

Everything else works, not sure what to check, I guess it’s possible the new assembly came with a bad Fan Control Module but highly unlikely and I doubt that’s the reason it’s not working. I did get a DIC code P0691 Fan 1 Cntrl Ckt Low which according to what I read online it usually refers to a low speed Fan relay but the HHR SS does not use relays and uses the Fan Control Module mounted to the Fan Assembly so at this point I’m lost, any ideas on what I could check or what could be the cause ?

https://www.carid.com/2009-chevy-hhr...569297335.html
Old 06-29-2020, 05:57 PM

Check fuse #7 in the underhood fuse block.

to the forums!
Old 06-29-2020, 06:16 PM

The fan should come on if the AC is on or 219F, got nothing to do with the t-stat opening.

As it turns out P0691 applies only to SS. The fan control module is a PWM device. Thus "control circuit low output" that refers to the driver output (computer) when the fan is commanded off it should be near 12V.

First, check fuse #7 underhood. That feeds the L Blu wire, should be at least 12V (batt+) at all times.
The Black wire goes to ground
The DK Grn wire goes to the computer (the driver), should be at least 12V (batt+) when engine on fan not commanded on, variable under (batt+) 12V when the fan is commanded on.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Hi RJ_RS_SS_350,

Thanks, for the help, but I forgot to mention that, knew I'd forget something.
I did check the 40 Amp fuse, #7, and it looked good but to be sure I pulled it and measured with an ohm meter to make sure it wasn't opened and it was good.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:42 PM

Hi donbrew,

Thank you for the info and the excellent schematic.
I did check fuse#7, 40 Amp, and it looks and checks out good.
I measured between Pin 1 and Ground (and Pin 2 which like you said is ground) and measured 12.5 Volts and 14.4 Volts with the engine running. Between Pin 3, the smaller gauge dark green wire, and ground I measured just over 5 volts with the engine running but it quickly dropped down to 0 Volts, which I thought was odd. Not sure if this is an issue but If I measure between Pin 1 and Pin 4 I get a constant 14.4 Volts, looking at the schematic i'm not sure that makes any sense or an indication of a problem.
I'm going to get back home Wednesday afternoon and I'm going to verify these voltages, if any, with both the engine running and off and will update the post then.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:43 AM

Sounds like the problem is with the module or the fan or the wire between them. If pin 4 is zero the fan should be running on high. You need to check the output of the module.

I am not an expert, but it seems that pin 4 should be at about 12 V if the engine is cold and the AC is off. As the temp rises pin 4 v should drop. Pin 1 to pin 4 is irrelevant.

The output of the module should vary from 0% to 90%.depending on demand.

Here is a decent discussion of PWM motor control: https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...odulation.html
The circuit presented is close to what you have; not the 3 input wires. Move the variable resistor to one of the inputs; so that VR1 takes the place of Ra and Rb. The element that varies is the one from the ECM pin 4.
(definitely NOT an electrical genius)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:17 AM
Administrator

You possibly have the wrong cooling fan , you show this unit, which is for the LS/LT 2.2 or 2.4

https://www.carid.com/2009-chevy-hhr...569297335.html

and the SS fan which includes the fan module is this one ...

https://www.carid.com/oe-replacement...-15940324.html
Old 06-30-2020, 11:09 AM

His link has choices, $79 for 2.2 and 2.4, $181 for 2.0
Old 06-30-2020, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Strange the part you suggest doesn’t show the OEM part number, and the pricing is so different from the same CarID site. Leads me to believe it’s gonna fit, but it might not be the same! These parts are from either Replace or Dorman, as we’ve seen before some parts fit but are just a little different.

this AC Delco shows the specs, just double check them to be sure

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,2181
Old 06-30-2020, 11:57 AM

Strange that the GM/ACDelco branded one is the cheapest on Carid.

Quick Reply: HHR SS FAN will not run even after replacement of new assembly