Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

HHR Wind Noise Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:07 PM

HHR Wind Noise Advice?

Hello all,

I have a 2008 HHR LS. On exceptionally windy days, at freeway speeds, I can hear a very annoying wind noise specifically around the passenger side A-pillar. It kind of sounds like a plasticky rattling noise, the kind you hear when going through a drive through car wash and the hot air at the end blasts your windshield, if that makes sense. I know for certain that it's located right around the passenger side, as there's no wind noise at all on the driver's side. I've looked all over and I don't see any trim out of place or weather stripping that's askew.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions for how to cure an annoying wind noise? (generic question, I know)

Aside from this, my HHR hasn't had any other problems to speak of.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 PM

I'll get a squeeky noise from the front pass. side when I run the fan from time to time have been unable to get it to do it for the shop .
Old 04-02-2010, 07:38 PM

I wish you luck tracking that down. Years ago I had a Chrysler, that on windy days at freeway speed, almost sounded like rolling marbles, along the windshield and the right A-pillar. The intensity varied with wind gusts. In the twelve years I had that car, I never could find the source, but I always suspected it had to do with the windshield seal, though there were no water leaks.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Was the windshield ever changed? Mine was and have terrible noise from the rt side..after loking it over it seems the glass sets below the roof line creating a lip and valley for the air to catch and turbulate,,,am planning to fill in the gap with clear RTV and see it that works...called aerodynamic sealing...this gives the air stream a smooth transition path,,,,,,,
Old 04-03-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Was the windshield ever changed? Mine was and have terrible noise from the rt side..after loking it over it seems the glass sets below the roof line creating a lip and valley for the air to catch and turbulate,,,am planning to fill in the gap with clear RTV and see it that works...called aerodynamic sealing...this gives the air stream a smooth transition path,,,,,,,
If the question is to me, on that Chrysler, no, it was all original! Since there was no water leak, I really never wanted to do too much to it. Its all ancient history now, though!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:27 AM

On windy days, my door actually pulls away a bit from the A pillar. More a design flaw issue I think.
I did get a bit of a squeaking noise from the rubber seal as the car flexed over bumps at speed but I ended it with a bit of cooking oil. Also keeps the doors from freezing shut in the winter.

Jim
Old 04-03-2010, 04:23 PM

Cool

Robert...Do you have a roof rails ? I bought some cross bars and added them on my rails and now I have wind noise.....But I know what causes mine.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Wind Noise...

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. No, my windshield hasn't been replaced. I also have the roof rails, but not the cross bars, so that's not it. The wind noise is most definitely right around the right side of the windshield. It doesn't happen that often though, and like I said it's only noticeable when it's severely windy out. As temperatures get warmer outside I bet trim pieces will warm and expand and the noise will go away. I'm not too fussed about it. It's just mildly annoying is all.

Even though my HHR is an LS, it's got the advanced audio system so that'll take care of any wind noise too .
Old 04-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Are you running ventshades? If not, maybe they would help?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM

What trim pieces....thats what i think is making the noise,,there are only minimal trim on the sides of the windshield, non on top...leaves a wide open area for wind to 'grab' ahold of....I really need to lay out some tape to see it that helps

Quick Reply: HHR Wind Noise Advice?