Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

hhrrws

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 PM

hhrrws

is there an idle screw to make a slight adjustment to idle speed on 2011 2.2? since I have been reading posts it seems like throttle body is culprit. when it idles between 600-700 you do not know it is running but it seems like most times it settles in about 800-900. is it ok to use product like seafoam in gas?thanx in advance for any input.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM

I was told that any EFI system does not have a idle adjust screw.. I had that low idle issue with my Old Chevy Tracker.. I would gas up alittle and it smoothed out around 8/900 rpm. , Im sure the gear heads will give the proper answer for our HHR I also have a 2011, have you tried cleaning the throttle body?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Deceased

There is no idle adjustment screw on an HHR, idle speed is controlled via the IAC, which correlates the opening of the throttle with info from the MAF sensor.

Your idle is slightly out of spec on the low end unless the A/C is engaged, but its within 100rpm of the ideal 700-750rpm low idle.

I'd suggest cleaning the throttle body as it's the usual culprit for idle speed running low or high.

Also check your air filter element, a dirty or clogged filter can pull the idle down as the engine is starved for air.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM

hhrrws

thank you for the responses. I am new to HHR world. I did replace the airfilter just because. The HHR has 28000 miles and the aircleaner really wasn't dirty but I know the car was in Texas so I changed it. So 2011 28000 miles how difficult is cleaning this throttle body or should I buy one of these manuals I see. Thank you again.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Deceased

I'd started a reply to you last night just as they called my flight number, but it's an easy job.

Grab a can of Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner at your parts store, then remove the airbox and intake runner. Once you have access to the throttle body, give it a good shot of the cleaner and gently wipe up the excess solvent and dissolved carbon/varnish goop.

Use care in moving the throttle butterfly, rough treatment can cause problems. Let it dry, pop things back together, and drive it a few days to see if the idle speed settles down.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Use a lint free cloth, if you want to be real official about it. But a clean rag should suffice. Also, get some MAF cleaner while you are at the store and then remove the MAF and clean it DO NOT touch the shiny parts of the MAF with anything other than the spray.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM

I got one peice advice in cleaning the throttle boddy do not touch the butterfly if you move it in any way with out the gas pedal presed youll too out the drive by wire and the car wont rev up when you turn it on. Found that out the hard way on a cobalt car starts and idels but you hit the gas and nothing. better to. Pull the breather off give it a good spray down the rubber neck. The fire it up get sume one to rev it a lil while you spray it down that rubber intake neck