Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Horn wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 01:26 AM

Horn wiring

2008 hhr 2.2 liter 196,000 miles.
i went to use the horn and it didn't work.
Popped the wheel well cover off and stuck the electrical tester in horn plug and had my dad push the button in and no power to the horn.
Changed the relay out with one that was working and checked the fuse and it's all good.
​​​​​​Does anyone know wiring for the horn switch, bcm, and fuse block? So I think I have a dead wire again from the bcm to the horn/fuse block or from the switch to the bcm.
My haynes manual doesn't work good for checking the wiring.
The switch seems to function, but not really sure where the connections are for pulling the connector off and testing resistance.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:17 AM
Technical Moderator

If it's not the relay or fuse it usually is the switch. Note that the BCM is only in the circuit for alarms, the switch can blow the horn without the BCM.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the great image.

Thanks for the great image.
so how do I test the switch itself?
on the steering wheel which plugs do I need to unplug the tan wires on the air bag or is there another connection on the steering area that has a tan connection?
Just looking for clarification on how to test the switch because it doesn't appear to be a normal switch.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Not sure if this helps but it shows the ground wire schematic.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Technical Moderator

Once you get the airbag off you can see the switch, it is just a chunk of metal on top of another chunk of metal.

The test I would do to check the switch is set the alarm off. If it works then it is the switch, if not relay, fuse, horn itself. (Lock with fob,unlock with key)
Old 04-19-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by redheadedshanny
2008 hhr 2.2 liter 196,000 miles.
i went to use the horn and it didn't work.
Popped the wheel well cover off and stuck the electrical tester in horn plug and had my dad push the button in and no power to the horn.
Changed the relay out with one that was working and checked the fuse and it's all good.
​​​​​​Does anyone know wiring for the horn switch, bcm, and fuse block? So I think I have a dead wire again from the bcm to the horn/fuse block or from the switch to the bcm.
My haynes manual doesn't work good for checking the wiring.
The switch seems to function, but not really sure where the connections are for pulling the connector off and testing resistance.
Thanks for the help!
Dumb question but have you taken the horn itself off and tested it?
Old 04-19-2018, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Doesn't sound like it - they are trying to trace the lack of power to the horn - ie "no power to the horn".
Old 04-19-2018, 06:19 PM
Administrator

It could be loose ground near the horn

Old 04-20-2018, 01:38 AM

The horn does not work with key fob.

Relay has been switch with a known functioning relay.
Fuse has been inspected.

I went many years without high beams because there was a dead wire between BCM and Fuse block.

I have been informed that the horn does not go through the BCM.

My guess is lack of power at the horn is another dead wire probably along the lines of the high beam wire.

I don't really want to pull the center console out and pull up the carpet to inspect all of that wiring would like to stick a needle in the wire coming from the steering column to the fire wall and see if that is the case.

Just like the image showed in the wheel well the horn location I pulled the connector off and stuck a volt meter in to read the voltage to the horn when the horn switch is pressed.
There is no voltage to the horn.
Assumption Horn is still good and switch is good at this point.
I will test the switch to confirm, but when you press the lock button twice no horn.

Great information! Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=redheadedshanny;842626]The horn does not work with key fob.

I went many years without high beams because there was a dead wire between BCM and Fuse block.

I have been informed that the horn does not go through the BCM.

Great information! Thanks again![/QUOTE

???
Not sure who informed you about the horn/BCM. Looking at Don's picture above I see that the BCM is involved.

Quick Reply: Horn wiring