Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

how can i tell

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM

how can i tell

if my oil was really changed at the dealer.. At 3600 miles i took the car in for my first change and switched to Mobil One. A few days later i checked the stick and the oil looked "used" to me... a light tan color much as it did before i took it in to get changed. Now at 5300 miles it looks about the same. As i recall using synthetic oil in my other cars in the past it had a greenish tint to it and was almost impossible to see when new on the dipstick. Anyway to tell other than oil analysis if this was changed? I especially sont want to put 7500 miles more on oil that never got changed. am i worried for nothing or is it possible they would have not changed it ?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Not sure about Mobil 1 but the Pennzoil Platinum (full synthetic) I put in yesterday looked light tan in color as I was putting it in......

Other than analysis I'm not sure how you could tell....... If this was a switch from dino oil to synthetic I would think a lab could tell that without a full analysis.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:26 PM

i would love to see an oil analysis as well. if it led to a scandal for that dealership, that would be genius. too many cheaters in this world.

right now, they are cheating people on steering motors. it will be something else tomorrow.

i would NEVER pay a dealership for what i can do so easily with common tools that pretty much every one has.

when one does an oil change, one does not get all the oil. there is oil hiding in all kinds of places in one's engine. so, the color could be totally honest as well.

my suggestion would be to buy ramps and a few tools and never ever pay someone to change your oil again. that way you know that your oil change was done right. changing your oil is quite fun, too. i can never wait to change mine.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:28 PM
ecl

When checking mine its always been a light tan since switching to Mobile one. I also have gone 7500 between changes before, I just go by the oil life monitor and normally change the oil when it says 10-15%.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM

im guessing its ok then based on the responses here about color.. i just didnt want to end of with 10000 miles on the original conventional oil. I did open the fill cap the day i got it changed and it smelled like synthetic oil to me as i remembered it. I just didnt remember it being tan in color they probally changed the formula.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM

As an amsoil dealer I can order a test kit for about $30. They do a complete test of used oil. However, in your case, you would be better off just changing your oil again.

Further as said about doing your own maintance. Read my sig. I find great pleasure and satisfaction of doing my own. Plus it allows you to keep tabs on your car.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tobaccoman
if my oil was really changed at the dealer.. At 3600 miles i took the car in for my first change and switched to Mobil One. A few days later i checked the stick and the oil looked "used" to me... a light tan color much as it did before i took it in to get changed. Now at 5300 miles it looks about the same. As i recall using synthetic oil in my other cars in the past it had a greenish tint to it and was almost impossible to see when new on the dipstick. Anyway to tell other than oil analysis if this was changed? I especially sont want to put 7500 miles more on oil that never got changed. am i worried for nothing or is it possible they would have not changed it ?
I have never seen Mobil 1 look tan. It looks like the color of Honey, light golden brown..
Of course draining it looks very Dirty, as Mobil 1 is a Hi-Detergent oil.......
& being dirty is it doing it's job..

I have never seen any brand of tan colored motor oil ?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 AM

Pouring Mobil in looks golden but in the engine tan is what it is.
It will darken a little with age.

I would not get all stressed with it. you have a 99.9% change you have Mobile One.

I only change my own oil since it is cheaper. I have had way too much satisfaction over the years. LOL!