Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear Axle damage...can this be true!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Unhappy Rear Axle damage...can this be true!!!

I thumped my 2010 SS on a curb such that the rear passenger side took a hit, but had no damage to wheel or rim.

I did get an electronic stablity control message and lost the traction control.

Steering whell is about 15 degrees off

Took it to dealership and they say I bent rear axle and damaged rotor...It was a good thump and I can see that being true.

But they are telling me it is over $2,400 to fix of which 1,600 is parts....I can't see that...looks like the axle hole bent plate that could drop right off and couldn't be more than a few hundred even with the stealerships markup.

Am I off base thinking this ought to be a less than a grand fix?

I am no mechanic...but have unbolted and bolted a lot of stuff in my day and have most every hand tool known to man...any reason I couldn't get parts at salvage and do it myself...does the SS have a special setup?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM

Insurance? That should be more than the deductable and cheaper than buying the parts yourself.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 PM

That suxs,
Bent axle, Steering off. The dealers prices for parts are what they are, You could search junk yards for the parts.

From the damage, sounds like you got off easy, Could have added a couple tires and rims to the repair bill.

Good luck, and stay away from the curbs.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by `molchaser
I thumped my 2010 SS on a curb such that the rear passenger side took a hit, but had no damage to wheel or rim.

I did get an electronic stablity control message and lost the traction control.

Steering whell is about 15 degrees off

Took it to dealership and they say I bent rear axle and damaged rotor...It was a good thump and I can see that being true.

But they are telling me it is over $2,400 to fix of which 1,600 is parts....I can't see that...looks like the axle hole bent plate that could drop right off and couldn't be more than a few hundred even with the stealerships markup.

Am I off base thinking this ought to be a less than a grand fix?

I am no mechanic...but have unbolted and bolted a lot of stuff in my day and have most every hand tool known to man...any reason I couldn't get parts at salvage and do it myself...does the SS have a special setup?
If you wish to avoid using Insurance or the Dealer, yea you could score a "bare" rear axle pretty reasonable & install yourself.. Course SS stuff costs more.
If you are careful about the brake lines etc, you can still use yours & not even have to bleed them..

Here's one option for used parts: http://www.schramauto.com/
But you may have somewhere local
Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 PM

Add one for the bone yard aquisition. Go get a complete rear end and swap it out. Hand tools, jack stands and a couple floor jacks. Here's the quickee results of a search. http://www.weberbrothersauto.com/product.aspx?t=3495919
Old 08-20-2010, 05:40 AM

Odds if you have average skills you would be able to do this. In a 2010 everything should come appart ok.

Just make sure you are up to the task. If you do not feel good about this or have someone to bail you out I would just let another shop do it.

Any reliable independent show could also do this with salvage parts and save you money.

I used to hate it when someone would try to fix their car only to bring in a box of parts and want us to fix the car. Many times I have seen failed repairs end up costing more if they get stuck and have to have someone else come in and finish it.

Changing an axles assmebly is not the toughest thing in the world. But it just comes down to getting the correct tools, information and how much mechanical ability you have to do it right if you have never done anything like this. Odds are you can do it but that is something you will have to decide for yourself.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 PM

Red face

Thanks for the advice...

My wife has nixed any attempt to a DYI approach to this for fear of voiding the rest of the warrentee (at least thats the party line...could be a lack of faith).

In any event we are going to have insurance adjuster take a look at it and hopefully pay thus I can consereve cash. Hope I don't wind up paying more in the long run with increased payments in future

Again,

Thanks for the help

Ken
Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

Good luck on that..
Old 08-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by `molchaser
Thanks for the advice...

My wife has nixed any attempt to a DYI approach to this for fear of voiding the rest of the warrentee (at least thats the party line...could be a lack of faith).

In any event we are going to have insurance adjuster take a look at it and hopefully pay thus I can consereve cash. Hope I don't wind up paying more in the long run with increased payments in future

Again,

Thanks for the help

Ken
My buddy had a Monte Carlo that got the rear control arm bent when he slid into a curb. It was over his deductable and insurance covered it. It did not effect his payments.

I also was thinking warranty.