Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How can you jumpstart an HHR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Chimes were probably turned down on the radio.....
Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Chimes were probably turned down on the radio.....
The factory stereo will not lower the volume of the chimes enough to not hear them. Unless the previous owner did something to disable the chimes.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Do you have any chimes what-so-ever??

Turn signal, etc.
Yes, my blinkers still make noise and my car chimes when you leave the keys in the ignition, if you leave the liftgate open, if you put the car in drive before you buckle up, etc., just about everything except for leaving on the headlights.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 AM

This is a hi-tech light fix. Have your headlights set to go on automatically at dusk with the light sensor. Take a dark wash cloth or rag and throw it over the light sensor on the dash up by the windshield by the defrost outlet. This will turn on your headlights during the day when it's foggy or raining but not dark enough to turn on your lights. In most states now it is the law to have your headlights on if it's raining. This keeps you from manually turning on your lights. Your fooling the sensor into thinking it's dark (night) so when you turn your car off when you get to where your going the light will still turn off even if you leave your dark rag (washcloth) over the sensor. Maybe this will help. This also works on any make and model vehicle with auto headlights.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Ok, thanks for the advice, I'm going to try that.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:09 PM

The other day I managed to run my battery down, and was not able to jump start it from under the hood! I do know the proper procedure and even tried a couple of ground points on the engine. The cables were borrowed and not in great shape, but it fired up immediately upon moving to the battery itself. Cable error, or something bad?
Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Sounds to me like Jumper Cable problems. My jumper cables were made for the big lugs on batteries, not the small posts in the engine compartment and I have to be more studious when dealing with the HHR than any other vehicle in the past. I’d bet enough playing with the cables at both ends would have eventually worked for you.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM

There was a language and technical proficiency barrier in play also, so I was assuming just that. My Viet Namese friends are great, but jump start a car... that has "2 batteries" a week later they still are laughing about it.