Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

How does the steering work

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM

How does the steering work

I just had my steering repaired (under warranty) and was told that the gears were worn. Exactly how does our electronic steering work, and why would something wear out in under 24,000 miles?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Some of the 06 (and I think to a lesser extent 07) HHR's had faulty steering columns that wore out quickly. I know my 06 had this problem, at around the same mileage as yours. The replacement should last much longer.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM

This system has been pretty trouble-free of late and "wearing out" shouldn't really be a problem.

The Electric Power Steering (EPS) system reduces the amount of effort needed to steer the vehicle. The system uses the power steering control module (PSCM), torque sensor, power steering motor rotational sensor, power steering motor, discrete battery voltage supply circuit, and the GMLAN serial data circuit to perform the system functions. The PSCM is serviced separately from the steering column assembly. However, the motor rotational sensor is integrated within the power steering motor. The torque sensor and power steering motor are serviced as part of the steering column assembly. The PSCM also monitors vehicle speed from the engine control module (ECM) via the GMLAN serial data circuit. At low speeds more assist is provided for easy turning during parking maneuvers. At higher speeds less assist is provided for improved road feel and directional stability.
The PSCM responds to the change in the sinusoidal voltage signals of the torque and motor rotational sensors by commanding current to the power steering motor. The motor is attached to the base of the steering column housing and assists steering through a worm and reduction gear attached to the steering column shaft. A DC/DC converter is applied to the battery voltage input within the PSCM to boost the pulse width modulated (PWM) motor drive circuit. The motor is a brushless, 3-phase motor with a rated maximum phase current of 35 amps-rms.

See..........really simple. (????)
Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 PM

I fell asleep halfway through that......
Old 01-30-2009, 03:17 PM

So then there is an actual steering column somewhere in the engine compartment. Is it in the fenderwell like the dealer manager said? If so, there must be a bunch of U joints
Old 01-30-2009, 03:29 PM

Most of the column is under the dash. It is just like any other car it attaches to the back of the steering wheel and extends through the bottom of firewall where it connects to the rack and pinion. The only thing that makes the HHR special is that the power assist is Electric not hydraulic. Take a peek under the dash and you will see it plain as day.

Originally Posted by Lee3333
So then there is an actual steering column somewhere in the engine compartment. Is it in the fenderwell like the dealer manager said? If so, there must be a bunch of U joints
Old 01-30-2009, 03:37 PM

I must do that. I am used to seeing a conventional rod I guess.

I just found my invoice and the part they replaced is the 'esteer column'.
I hope the replacement is more durable.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:38 PM

yea thats wierd cause i have a 06 SE and i've had an 05 cobalt(belive it has the same steering colum) and never had problems(i guess i shouldnt talk cause it will probly happen now that its out of warranty). but that is intresting
Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 PM

My '08 has had the steering column done twice. The second time I didnt even notice the problem, they told me when I took it in for an oil change.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:49 AM

dealers down here would never do that, they dont even replace things that are wrong that you bring up....i ran into a service rep. and he told me that 85% of GM,s service problems come from down here.(miami)

Quick Reply: How does the steering work