Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Howling/Grinding/Clunk/Crunch/Squeak/Squeal Noise thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Howling/Grinding/Clunk/Crunch/Squeak/Squeal Noise thread

It seems at least a few times an hour(I may be exaggerating) someone on the forum has a noise to be diagnosed

so I had some free time to make a list and some fixes for the "noises"
PLEASE ADD YOUR OWN IF I MISSED ANY COMMON NOISES

1-Wheel bearing/hub-Noise will be consistent with rotation of the wheel, and be more noticeable when the wheel speed is faster:how to- https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-front-hub-replacement-38946/

2-Strut bearing- Will grind, or vibrate with the steering wheel turning. Louder when stopped

3-Rotors-warped rotors will make a noise with rotation/brake pedal pressure and usually cause the steering wheel to shimmy. Warn rotors can also make a grinding noise with rotation.

4-Brake pads- Can Squeal if they are low enough for wear indicators to touch the rotor. Some pads (aftermarket) are not equipped with indicators, and can grind when the pad is completely worn. front brake how to: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-replace-rotors-pads-06-hhr-15226/

5-Brake shoes-Can grind when they get low. Brake shoes wear much slower than front brakes and can last upwards of 100,000 miles

6-A frame bushing- Common “clunk” noise heard over bumps

7-Control arm bushing- Common “clunk” noise heard over bumps

8-sway bar linkage- Common “clunk” noise heard over bumps

9-struts/shocks (more of a crunch/squeak) - Struts can go bad in more than one way. The bearing can wear out (see number 2) and the strut itself can wear. Oil on the strut, and body roll (more than normal) can be signs of worn struts. Tires can wear wrong if struts are worn also. Shocks can do many of the same things listed, plus bottoming out.

10-Worn motor/trans mounts- can make a “clunk” noise when beginning to accelerate, with the movement of the engine.

11-Tires-Unbalanced tires can make a thumping or a wobble noise when moving, louder at higher speeds. Tires can also make noise when not filled to proper PSI. Tires making noise can also be a sign of something in the suspension, going bad, and wearing the tires unusually.

12-Exhaust- Manifolds, flex pipes, and rotted pipes in the exhaust can create a hissing sound under acceleration, or even at idle if bad enough.

13-CV joint- Can “click” when the car is put into gear when it is going bad. Can make a click/clunk when turning and accelerating

14-Ball Joint-Can make a clunk noise when worn.

15-Serpentine belt- can squeal when worn or when it’s not under enough tension.

It is very hard to diagnose noises over the internet, some are easier than others to locate
Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Good posting man. :-)
Old 04-13-2013, 10:23 PM

Many thanks~badassbowtie!

From what you describe it sounds like your #2

strut bearing- Will grind, or vibrate with the steering wheel turning. Louder when stopped

Pardon my ignorance but what is a strut bearing? Enlightenment would help
Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by BunglerHHr
Many thanks~badassbowtie!

From what you describe it sounds like your #2

strut bearing- Will grind, or vibrate with the steering wheel turning. Louder when stopped

Pardon my ignorance but what is a strut bearing? Enlightenment would help
The top mount of the strut, comes with new quick struts, extra part when struts are done the "old fashioned" way.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM

You are welcome bunglerHHR!

And just to add on to donbrew; the quick struts are way easier and worth the extra money. No spring compressing means an easy fix. If you pay a shop to do it, they will probably do quick struts too...
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Technical Moderator

Usually QS are actually cheaper when you figure the cost of the bearing and bumper and shield. Not to mention the 30 minutes labor per side.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Noises

Thanks for the info BADASSBOWTIE.

I have been experiencing quite a few of those!

Quick question for anyone that has the time:

Last weekend I had the swaybar link replaced because the bushing was going bad. Thought this might solve the clunking sound I was getting. I picked up the part only to find out it was the wrong length. I drove back to the parts store without the link on and didn't have any of the clunking noise. The new link was put on and the clunking noise is worse than it was before I replaced it. *sighs* After two previous trips to the dealership with no answer, this is getting really irritating.....
Old 04-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site alriders23, Have you checked # 15 sway bar bushings ?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

have to remove the bumper to replace strut mount?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:04 PM

SS Fan, going to do some investigating this weekend. I will check out the sway bar bushings as well. Thanks

Quick Reply: Howling/Grinding/Clunk/Crunch/Squeak/Squeal Noise thread