Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I have a new problem in my HHR now

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:49 PM

Thumbs down I have a new problem in my HHR now

The cruise control is intermittent. Gotta enjoy a 300+ mile trip where it quits half way home

I left it with the dealer and I'm thinking of trading it if they can't fix it....

I can't take much more of this crap with the car.

I'm cursed. I'll sell it to the highest bidder and get a Camaro.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:23 PM

Hey, I just returned from a long, trouble-free trip with my HHR SS, but forgot about one of the small issues. My wife took the wheel for a short driving stint and could not get the cruise to work. Figuring that it was sensor related, I had her push the clutch first to jog the sensor. Nothing happened. Then I had her tap the brakes. The cruise reset and worked fine, so it must have been brake sensor relarted. It did happen again when I took the wheel and tapping the brake pedal worked again as well.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sneezy
The cruise control is intermittent. Gotta enjoy a 300+ mile trip where it quits half way home

I left it with the dealer and I'm thinking of trading it if they can't fix it....

I can't take much more of this crap with the car.

I'm cursed. I'll sell it to the highest bidder and get a Camaro.

That would suck. Hopefully they can fix this quickly for you.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 AM

it might have to do with the brakes. there was another post on here how they could not get the cruise to work if they hadn't yet used the brakes, merging after a rest stop on the highway. I tried it on mine, and my cruise wouldn't activate when i pulled out of my parking stop before i had used my brakes.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Wow man, glad you don't fly a plane. That is the worst luck with a car that I have heard of.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cokeybill
Wow man, glad you don't fly a plane. That is the worst luck with a car that I have heard of.

Notice that GM DOES NOT BUILD PLANES ???

There's a good reason for that!!
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR
Notice that GM DOES NOT BUILD PLANES ???

There's a good reason for that!!
At least they would have the hp to get 1 in the air. Honda, Toyota not sure.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:34 PM

This is my story and I'm stickin' with it.......recently went and replaced ALL the small bulbs with leds and found something that might be a clue.....when I was doin' the high mount stop bulbs I did the two outside ones first......cruise worked.....did the two inside ones and cruise quit....makes me think......cruise monitors the high mount stop lite......you know, step on the stop pedal and cruise quits. Then the real kick in the butt......they glow very very dim (it's got to be dark to see them) but lite up like normal (led normal) when the pedal is pushed.... And when I shut her down they continue to glow very very dim for a few minutes.....I'm thinking this is when the puter finally goes to sleep. So boys and girls....the puter looks for resistance in that circuit to determine if the cruise should be engaged.......
Beam me up Mr. CHEVYMGR!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by stranger
Beam me up Mr. CHEVYMGR!
You're on the right track. Here's exactly how it works.

Cruise Control Disengaged
The engine control module (ECM) disengages the cruise control operation based on the signals from the following switches:

• The brake pedal position (BPP) sensor

• The On/Off switch

• The clutch pedal position sensor (CPP)

The cruise control system will disengage when the brake pedal is applied. The body control module (BCM) monitors the BPP sensor via the BPP sensor signal circuit as the voltage signal increases while the pedal reaches the fully applied position. The ECM monitors the BPP signal through a discrete input and a GMLAN serial data message signal from the BCM indicating the brake status. When both signals indicate the brake pedal is applied, the ECM will disengage the cruise control system. For further information on the BPP sensor, refer to Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation and to Brake Pedal Position Sensor Calibration . The engine control module (ECM) monitors the CPP sensor via the CPP sensor signal circuit as the voltage signal decreases while the pedal reaches the fully applied position.

The cruise control system will also disengage when the cruise control on/off switch is switched OFF. The BCM sends a GMLAN serial data message to the ECM in order to disengage the cruise control system. The vehicle speed stored in the memory of the engine control module will be erased when the cruise control On/Off switch is turned OFF, or the ignition switch is turned OFF. The Cruise Control System will also disengage when the ECM detects that a driver override function has been active for approximately 60 seconds. When the Cruise Control System has been disengaged, the ECM sends a GMLAN serial data message to the driver information center (DIC) in order to turn off the CRUISE ENGAGED message.

Every time the cruise control system is disengaged, the ECM will keep track of the reason for system disengagement. The last 8 disengagement reasons will be recorded within the ECM memory. The scan tool will display the last 8 Cruise Disengage History parameters, in which one out of approximately 50 possible reasons will be displayed in each of these 8 parameters. For the disengagement reason to be displayed within the scan tool parameter either the cruise control system is active and disengagement is requested, or engagement of the system is requested but a fault is present. For a list of each disengagement reason along with each definition, refer to Control Module References in the ECM Scan Tool Information.

Cruise Control Inhibited
The engine control module (ECM) inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:

• The ECM has not detected a brake pedal activation from the body control module (BCM).

• A fault with the clutch pedal position (CPP) sensor or a CPP DTC is present.

• A cruise control system DTC has been set.

• The vehicle speed is less than 40.2 km/h (25 mph).

• The vehicle speed is too high.

• The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.

• The engine RPM is low.

• The engine RPM is high.

• The system voltage is not between 9 volts and 16 volts.

• The Antilock Brake System (ABS)/Traction Control System (TCS) is active for more than 2 seconds.