Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I need HELP fast

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 PM

I need HELP fast

I disconnected the positive and negative posts attached to the under hood fuse box and reconnected everything, now the car wont start......i have power to gauges, just when i turn the key doesnt even attempt to crank over.

Stupid pic is huge or something doesnt load..............sorry.

HELP!!!!

Last edited by wyzord; 04-20-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: pic didnt work
Old 04-20-2013, 01:24 PM

I think the pic doesn't work because it's linked to a verizon wireless account and we can't access your account

1st, tell us why you would disconnect the terminals from the fuse box. Why not disconnect the battery if you needed to remove electric power?

2nd, did you check all fuses?

3rd, did you test the battery for power? did you contact the terminals to anything or had something on that could have drained the battery? I believe we probably have a fuse box up under the dash also so if you left something on that was dependent on that fuse box and had the battery connected, it could have drained the battery

Also, if you have power to the guages, try to put the windows up or down. if they run slow or can't, I say battery is dead
Old 04-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by eaglefreak138
I think the pic doesn't work because it's linked to a verizon wireless account and we can't access your account

1st, tell us why you would disconnect the terminals from the fuse box. Why not disconnect the battery if you needed to remove electric power?

2nd, did you check all fuses?

3rd, did you test the battery for power? did you contact the terminals to anything or had something on that could have drained the battery? I believe we probably have a fuse box up under the dash also so if you left something on that was dependent on that fuse box and had the battery connected, it could have drained the battery

Also, if you have power to the guages, try to put the windows up or down. if they run slow or can't, I say battery is dead
I have the issue with the crazy gauges, so I simply wanted to disconnect things, see if i could clean anything, reconnect and hopefully the car would be fine. I have checked all fuses, under hood and inside car. I tried jumping the car, that didn't help. Someone said maybe the security system might have disabled the car thinking it was being tampered with, so i disconnected the negative cable and am letting it sit.

I did notice now that the back hatch will not open with hatch release.

I am stumped.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:53 PM

There is no negative post to the under hood fuse box, that is the power to the power steering motor. You probably shorted something out by flopping the live positive cables around a whole lot of grounds, like everything metal under the hood.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:57 PM

At least look at the Owner Manual before you start yanking wires.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM

Hi

I also guess you ran the battery dead somehow. Hook a charger up overnight.
Hook up to the battery in the rear.

Boydie
Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM

When you tried to jump at the terminals did you hook up the negative cable to the rear post on the fuse box? Like said above this is not a ground. You want to use the strut bolt that is labels "ground". You will also need to replace your powersteering fuse now as you probably blew it when trying to jump start the car.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:31 PM

I may not be the brightest star in the sky, but when i jumped it i used the battery in the back......

So, Donbrew, thanks for the insightful reply, and suggestions that might actually help me? I have already beat myself up enough.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:42 PM

I agree with above
I would charge battery make sure batteryy
Conections are clean and tight if thst does not work
Then bring battery in to local auto store and have tested probably dead.
But as mentioned above check your fusest
Old 04-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Does anyone think it may be the security system locking me out? i am currently doing the 30 minute reset.....

Quick Reply: I need HELP fast