Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

I see how this fourm is

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 PM

I see how this fourm is

Ok.. I just joined today because I needed to find out how others fixed a problem I'm having with my wife's HHR. The thread I find related to the issue, he took it to the dealer to fix. A moderator stated that he hasn't heard of this issue before on this forum, that it must be a "Rare Issue"

I comment that not to start an argument but it isn't "Rare" it happened to my wife's HHR and when I looked into it "GOOGLE" its seems to be common! But what happens, can I get help/ideas to fix it. NOPE a SENIOR MODDERATOR says "Here we go again" then CLOSES the thread.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:43 PM

I'm going to guess it was an old thread. Why not just start a new one with your issues?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 PM

Had you searched this site a bit more you would have found this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...t-53899/page2/ that at the end is current and says a member has received the kit.

But, we really don't know what "this issue" is. Maybe you could use this thread to pose your exact problem.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:47 PM

It was the same issue. The sheet metal of the firewall itself tore. the Master clutch itself is fine. Thank you for the reply donbrew, but the spring kit isn't it. There is nothing wrong with the master clutch itself. the tabs of the firewall itself tore where you attach the MC and turn it 45deg to lock it into the tabs.

So outside of cutting the firewall, putting in new sheet metal and making a new hole with new locking tabs, I'm SOL
Old 04-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, and I am the one that closed it.

First off, I did not say I had never heard of it before. So don't lie about that.

I said - "yes it has happened - twice now that we have heard of. " - the original posters and yours.

My issue was that you were stating it was a common problem - and my comment was basically unless you bring the facts to back it up, we cannot consider it to be a common problem.

And you were not asking for help - you were just complaining about what you consider to be a common problem.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

And to top it off, you obviously know what the fix is: "cutting the firewall, putting in new sheet metal and making a new hole with new locking tabs".
Old 04-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Hi backwards master, to the forums!

We got off to a bumpy start, but let me assure you, this site is not only a great resource, but a great community also.

Yours is only the 3rd report of this issue here. I know the Cobalts have more reports, but that is a different vehicle, with many similarities. There were over a million Cobalts produced, so even 20 or 30 reports is still rare. Heck, even if there were 100 reports, is still 'rare'.

There is no documentation here for how to do this repair. The descriptions at the cobalt site indicate that it is a big job. I would suggest consulting with a good fabricator in your area, who may come up with a simple plan. Please let us know how it turns out!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM

You are correct. My apologizes you didn't say "Never heard of it before" it was mention that it was the "First time" it was heard of on this forum.

I came here because I did a Goggle search of this problem and that was the first thread that came up and it was exactly the issue I am having. I didn't know I need to bring proof that this is a re-occurring issue elsewhere. Yes I change it to "Re-occurring" and didn't use "Common" as that term seems to have different opinions to different people. And I'm NOT being a smart a55, I'm agreeing one persons "Common" issue may not be "Common" to someone else. I also stated that it seems to have started with the chevy COLBOLT.

I wasn't complaining I was trying to start a conversation about it. It was an old thread. I'm sorry I didn't explain myself correctly. I will look else where for help as it seems I have gotten off on the wrong foot here and I have been marked as a LIER.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Now that we know your problem is the firewall broke we know what the solution is. Now that the car is no longer covered by the bumper to bumper warranty you will have to pay someone to repair the sheet metal. I would not suggest a dealership service department for the task. If it is as pervasive as you say, maybe GM does have a repair kit for that, also.

I can't find any TSB related to the clutch pedal for either HHR or Cobalt, so I guess GM has not had massive complaints.

I am surprised there is no Youtube about fixing the problem.

BTW, it is COBALT.

The problem was that your first post was in a long dead thread and all you said was that a previous post was wrong about it being a rare problem, because you have it, too. That did not sound like asking for help to me.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:05 PM

RJ RS SS 350 Thank you for you feedback. I was writing when you replied so I didn't see it until after I replied below. I'm understand that do fix this properly, ie: replacing the sheet metal, but at I stated else where I don't have the money to do that. I was hoping someone had a "good" temp fix that I could do while I saved up to get it done correctly.

donbrew, lol was typing this when you replied. Yea I realize that was a long dead thread and I should of been more specific with my post. I was trying to multitask with the wife and grandson at the time (not by choice mind you :-) ) so it didn't come out as intended.

But a senior moderator replying "Oh here we go again - yes it has happened - twice now that we have heard of.

If one wants to start on about a "common problem", it's best to bring along the research and facts to back it up." as a reply is extremely

Closing this thread.

Doesn't make people feel welcome. I would like to thank everyone else that did help and I am open to ideas on how to temp fix this without having to remove the engine just to get to the problem. I will update you on what I find, if anything.

Quick Reply: I see how this fourm is