Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ignition Jamming

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Daverb
I have not had this happen so far, but have had something similar happen on my dodge minivan. it is sometimes common with the inter lock system from what Ihave been told. if you turn the wheel too far and shut off and remove the key, the preasure can make it hard to turn the ignition key. Sometimes a jiggle of the wheel can correct this but have to remember not to over turn the wheel from now on.

No, this is different. Our Saturn was prone to what you are describing.

In Our HHr's case, the wheel still spins quite a bit, is not locked, will not lock, and we cannot get the key out, Other times the key comes out, but the wheel is not locked.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:11 AM

Well the parts are on backorder to fix this problem. So somehow they are going to disable it until the parts come in. I am supposed to go pickup our HHR pretty soon. I know my wife is getting pretty disgusted with it. We have had it in many times for this problem and also for the hard starting issue (which the fuel pump fixed)...

Thanks

Don
Old 09-29-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
Actually it didn't help in the least. Between myself, my wife, and a friend, we must have shifted the shifter at least a hundred times, going through all the gears. Even went as far as to take a couple laps around the neighborhood, shifting through all the gears. It just gave up the key, without anyone having to jump through hoops, on a random attempt to get the key.

had it happen to me too. Its happened in other cars I've had as well...it has always been related to the steering wheel lock. Jiggle the steering wheel. It'll come right out. Works for me everytime (2-3 in the past year).
Old 09-29-2006, 01:07 PM

Ours seems to be more related to the shifter than the steering wheel. We can wiggle the steering wheel all we want, but it is only when we mes with the shifter does the keys acutally come out. They have the parts on order so when they come in and are replaced I will update everyone..

P.S. I have owned many Chevy's and Pontiac's so I understand where you are coming from on the steering wheel. This problem is not like anything we have experienced before.

Thanks

Don
Old 09-29-2006, 05:00 PM

I just had the shifter interlock parts replaced in mine last week. This repair has nothing to do with the steering wheel itself. This is a new design and does not work like they did in the past. If my understanding is correct this is an electrical problem with the shifter interlock not allowing the key to turn far enough.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:02 PM
jx3

I was actually able to wait out the problem since it happened at my house.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 AM

just how much does this fix cost? I just took my car in for this thing this morning and I'm kind of pissed because the car is just a few hundred miles out of warranty and this crap happens out of nowhere.

Went to put the car in park and take out the key, but the key would only go back 1 click and not another so I could remove the key. On top of that the button on the shifter is entirely screwed up and stuck in for good so that if you were driving and bumped the shifter you could accidentally shift it into park/reverse with no lockout.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:08 PM

I have no idea what the cost was because mine was covered under warranty. I see that the part cost is about $130.00. Maybe you can talk them into a "good will" fix if you are not far out of warranty. It is a know problem to GM because the parts seem to be on backorder often.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:31 PM

Out of Warranty ???

Originally Posted by Fritch
just how much does this fix cost? I just took my car in for this thing this morning and I'm kind of pissed because the car is just a few hundred miles out of warranty and this crap happens out of nowhere.

Went to put the car in park and take out the key, but the key would only go back 1 click and not another so I could remove the key. On top of that the button on the shifter is entirely screwed up and stuck in for good so that if you were driving and bumped the shifter you could accidentally shift it into park/reverse with no lockout.
Just happened to read this, are you saying you have driven 36,000 miles already ?
The warranty is 3yrs/36,000 mi. whichever comes first...
According to the brouchure, everything was covered, even cosmetic stuff.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 PM

well good news, I picked the car up about an hour and a half ago and they replaced it for free since it was so close from just out of warranty. I saw the parts/labor bill, it was $215 so I'm glad it was replaced free.

YES, I have driven over 36k miles, in fact it has 36,585 right now... And I bought it on 4/15/06

Quick Reply: Ignition Jamming