Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ignition Key Stuck, Engine Running

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:06 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking this would fall under "lemon law" category except that as stated by someone else above, this does not form an immediate life/death danger.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM

My car is in the dealership as I write this for a locked ignition cylinder. The hidden button fix didn't work this time. It did last time, when it locked in the Off position. A late stop at the dealership last night yielded emergency advice: a) pull the fuel pump fuse (kills the supply of fuel to the engine), b) once engine is stopped, disconnect the NEGATIVE cable to the battery. This enabled me to safely park the car in my driveway overnight.

First thing in the morning (after calling off work) was to reinsert the fuse, then climb into the luggage compartment via the back seat (you can't access that compartment without the battery ALREADY connected) to reconnect the battery cable.

After that, it was easy to just start the car up, drive to the dealership, then leave it there for the day so they could fix it. That was at 9:30AM. It is now 2:00PM and I"m still waiting for them to call me with an update. . .
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
jx3

I do realize that is response is in regards to another that is several months old.........

Originally Posted by Mrs. DLVRNIT
But if it's enough of an issue to have it's own section in your owners manual then there's a design flaw that should be addressed and remidied before the next model year!
By your logic, any car w/ keyless ignition would have a design flaw due to the fact that there is an actual key to be able to start the vehicle.

Just because there is a section in the owners manual, does not make it a design flaw. The switch under the column is there as a redundant back up in case of part failure, which is the case w/ the shifter failing.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 PM

Mostly an issue with automatics, right?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by nacademus
Mostly an issue with automatics, right?
The shifter problem......yes, cylinder problem hasn't been reported here enough to determine.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Just went through this same problem over the weekend. I figured it was the ignition lock cylinder because it fell apart when I pulled it from the steering column. Stealer wanted $249 installed but told me it was a pretty easy diy project. They sold me the new cylinder for $85 plus $25 to code it to my existing keys. Only took about 30 mins. to replace. New one is a different design which looks like it will last awhile. I asked if there were any recalls in this issue and was told no but they change alot of them!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM

Dear centaur1129,

I read your post about your key cylinder in your HHR. Did the dealership contact you with any diagnostic information yesterday?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM

I wish that I could ever have anything like this happen to me on a weekday early afternoon! Always happens Friday after 6:30 PM holiday weekend, need the car NOW!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:36 PM

The worst ignition lock cylinders I ever encountered were on the 2000-2004 Ford Focus, to my knowledge they were never recalled. I get calls 2-4 times per week to replace Chrysler ignition locks used from 1998 to present day and no recall. I have never been called out to work on a HHR ignition lock yet.

The GM vehicles with the most ignition lock problems recently are the Buick Rendezvous and Saturn Vue, these locks were made by a company other than Strattec. Strattec locks are generally very reliable. 2-3 GM ignition locks made between 1994 and 2004 show up at the shop every week, most of these are actually key problems (a new key cut to factory specs , not copied, fixes the problem). We still replace the ignition locks on these vehicles due to the fact that enough labor time has already been invested in their removal to justify replacement.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Dear Early63,

I have read your post about your situation with your Chevrolet HHR. I understand the frustration that you must have experienced with this situation. However, I am glad to read that your local dealership provided you with the information to be able to fix it yourself.

In the future, don't hesitate to contact me with questions and/or concerns.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Stuck, Engine Running