Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ignition switch and codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 10:13 AM

I understand what your explaining, my Mercedes ML is the exact same way. It will crank as long or short as it needs to start the engine off a single hit of the key.

But is it possible a defective switch could send a second start cycle signal when one was not manually initiated?

Or, maybe its the bcm or ignition module that's bad?
Old 03-15-2022, 10:31 AM

You implied you were holding the key. You also said it only happened once. Why are you searching for problems?
Does the key go back to run by itself.

If you posted on FB the solution would be "blame the computer". We have more sense. How many computers have you personally had break on their own; I had one 25 year old mother board go bad?
Old 03-15-2022, 12:10 PM
Administrator

X2 , ignition switch, most likely, loose connector at the switch , could have been not connected firmly, but doubtful. Check the under hood fuse box for loose fuses , relays and halves .
Old 03-18-2022, 08:28 AM

Starter running after key off

So what started out as a once off has reemerged. I start my g/f's HHR ('06, 2.2, auto) and the starter continued to run after the engine has started. For like 30 seconds.

What I've eliminated:
User error- I know the whole procedure of turning the key momentarily and letting off. Also, the switch sticking/not fully returning is also eliminated as when the starter stuck on, I turned the key to the off position and removed the key from the ignition. Starter kept cranking.

Relay(s): with the key out of the ignition and the starter still cranking, I removed the #34 and #51 relays with no change. I had to disconnect the battery (-) terminal to get the starter to stop cranking.

Starter: it's not the starter hanging up, as I hooked my multimeter to the solenoid lead- the small wire, not the larger power supply cable, and it was continuing to get 13.8v after the key was turned off and taken out the ignition.

I found a thread on a Cobalt forum where an individual had the exact problem. Turned out to be his ECM, something about moisture getting in the connectors. Would make sense in my case, as the only times this had happened is after a cool night we're there was a decent amount of dew/dampness in the AM.

Unless someone has an idea of semi-simlpe things to check, I'm throwing in the towel and taking it to a mechanic. I'm good at mechanicals, but not so much electrical.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:21 AM

If it is runs without the relay in place it can be nothing but the solenoid sticking. The relay supplies 12v to the solenoid, if it is not in place the solenoid cannot be getting power unless a wire is shorting to 12v somewhere. The solenoid is part of the starter.

The solenoid acts as a switch in addition to moving the gear. The relay energizes the the solenoid the solenoid kicks the gear into the flywheel AND turns the motor on. There is always 12 v being supplied to the motor, the solenoid completes the circuit to ground.

If you want to believe computers are taking over the mechanical world go ahead and waste your money.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Agreed, a defective starter is very plausible as the culprit here. Did you install it or the PO? What brand is it, is it rebuilt or new?
Old 03-19-2022, 10:18 AM

Ok, so I pulled the starter. It was not replaced by me, but the PO. It looks generic, as there's almost no labels or stickers and no name whatsoever. It looks New, but who knows how long it's been on there, as we don't deal with rust issues much in my neck of the woods.

The starter bench tested fine, but one thing I noted when removing it- the cap on the solenoid turned, as in spun in the housing, probably a good 1/8 of a turn. Or 45°. I'm far from an expert, but that seems like a lot??

Also, as far as the crank relay, can it be reversed? As in must it go back the exact it came out, or if it goes back 180° off ok?

Oh, and btw, I don't think computers are going to take over anything 😉

Old 03-19-2022, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Relay can be reversed, that cap turning , not good, see if you can tighten it up a bit.
Old 03-19-2022, 02:41 PM

I thought we concluded that it doesn't matter which way HHR 4 prong relays go in. 5 prong relays can only be installed one way, you can't mess them up.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:47 PM

Ok, so I went to my local u pull it yard and got a starter. Picked the best one I could find (make and physical condition). And then stopped and bought 2 new relays, putting them in #34 & #51. Fired right up and no starter run-on. But, being it was an intermittent problem, I'll wait a few days to declare victory!

Now to find out why the a/c ain't working,lol

Quick Reply: Ignition switch and codes