Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Improved Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Banned

Wink Improved Gas Mileage

I am new at these blogs and I think I posted wrong. I was getting approx. 22 mpg highway and 18 city. I dumped 9 oz. Lucas in a full tank, and bought a can of Sea Foam spray. I followed the directions on the spray and the results blew me away. I am now getting 34 highway and 27 city. That is calc. from fillup and actual miles.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Banned

Nice to know...
Old 09-05-2014, 09:44 PM

I use Lucas fuel treatment every so often. Never heard of that Sea Foam. (Horrible name for an engine product IMO.) Anyone else here use it or is this a sales pitch?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Banned

No Sales pitch. I am a retired musician and never heard of it until it was recommended. Bought it at Auto Zone.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 AM
Banned

I have heard of it and its benefits. My cousin is a Store Manager for Autozone.. I've heard about it. No sales pitch..
Old 09-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kookie
Never heard of that Sea Foam. (Horrible name for an engine product IMO.)
LMAO Hahahahaha. I have used Lucas in the gas tank and changed to Sea Foam this weekend. What does one do with the spray version?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:38 PM

No worries about sales pitches - you will not be able to sell fuel tank or crankcase additives to anyone who is the least bit scientific in their thinking. Petroleum refining techniques have advanced to the point where most useless molecular configurations are no longer present in motor fuels and lubricating oils, automatically decreasing the chances of an efficiency-robbing buildup of varnish in injector passageways, or inordinate amounts of combustion by-products clogging oil galleries.

Lucas and Sea Foam products are petroleum-based solvents for the most part - as are most of the dozens of other brands now extant. Their purpose is to loosen and emulsify material buildups on surfaces that contact each other. Less friction - less energy needed to do "X" amount of work.

You might use these products as a preventative gesture to be assured that your engine is as clean as possible - but for the purpose of significant increases in fuel efficiency - they are - um.....useless.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM

I don't know, I think I saw Jesus when I top cleaned my motor today.

But it really is good stuff! Not a miracle worker, but really good at what it does.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:52 PM

I'm not trying to negative...but I agree with kornellred...there really isn't an additive to make cars more efficient.

How do you calculate anything other than a "combined" or average fuel economy??? Not trying to be an ass but it seems pretty hard to calculate unless you did a full tank of fuel city driving and a full tank highway driving
Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Banned

I disagree. Oil companies put additives in oil to (among other things) help prevent varnish and carbon buildup - because it is still a product of combustion engines. But big oil is a business, and as a business will only put the minimal amount needed to do the job. Sometimes that isn't enough, and an additive is necessary to help remove the buildup of residues. These residues can cause injectors and valves to stick, or hang open which will cause a drop in mileage. Theses products are not meant to lower friction, but just to help loosen and remove the crud. I have personally seen good results from the use of the Lucas product, so I know they can make a difference. No sales pitch, just experience.

But my question still stands (to FlyingRedBaron): what do you do with the spray Sea Foam?

Quick Reply: Improved Gas Mileage