Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

The infamous "ENG PWR REDUCED"

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 PM

The infamous "ENG PWR REDUCED"

I just bought a used '07 LS, 5 speed with 66K km's. I've driven it for a week now with no problems, but this morning after I stopped to grab a coffee on my way to work, I got in the car, started it up, and when I shifted into first and began to accelerate, the car "hiccupped", I got a little dinging noise and the "eng pwr reduced" sign popped up on my DIC. I found that once I got on the highway, the car had very little acceleration power in 5th, and once I got off the highway, every time I came to a stop, the car would hiccup again as I started moving again. Of course the CEL came on as well.

I got to work, turned the car off, came in and found these forums and tried researching the problem. When I came back out after work, I got in, the car started up just fine and had no more power problems, although the CEL is still on.

My questions are:

1. Would this still be covered under warranty? I have the balance remaining of the 160K powertrain warranty, although the Bumper to bumper is expired. I assume this would be covered under the powertrain warranty if I wanted a dealer to look at it?

2. I don't have a diagnostic reader to check codes, but what are the odds it's related to the TSB regarding the wiring harness to the ECM?

Anybody else have this issue or have any insight? Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Rob
Old 02-13-2009, 08:20 PM

It should be covered - depende on the mileage on your warranty. When mine did it, I took it in and was told that there was no-one there who could read the fault, to go away and bring it back if the CEL stayed on. Few engine starts later it went out, so it can't have been a persistent code, and hasn't happened since. Haven't bothered to take it back yet, maybe I'll get them to check for codes when I take it back for the noisy headliner they couldn't hear last time.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by pg318
It should be covered - depende on the mileage on your warranty. When mine did it, I took it in and was told that there was no-one there who could read the fault, to go away and bring it back if the CEL stayed on. Few engine starts later it went out, so it can't have been a persistent code, and hasn't happened since. Haven't bothered to take it back yet, maybe I'll get them to check for codes when I take it back for the noisy headliner they couldn't hear last time.
Hey thanks for the update. So you had the same thing happen and eventually the CEL went out? I was thinking I would have to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery to get the light to diminish. Either that or get out a piece of electrical tape and cover it up

I see some people are talking of corrosion on the wires under the driver side kick panel. Could this be the case? I'm just worried that I'll be driving along and have it happen and cause a complete loss of power the next time.

BTW, nice choice of car Sounds exactly like mine :)
Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by FallRiverHHR
Either that or get out a piece of electrical tape and cover it up
It's not like you can just take the bulb out any more.

There's no sign of any corrosion on mine, I haven't had any leaks, though I did have a lot of condensation in the car last winter, hasn't been quite as bad this year. Connectors all look solidly connected. Just a random gremlin passing by.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:51 AM

I had the "engine power reduced" message in my 2007 LS 5-speed HHR. I forgot the code, but my problem was a mismatch between the accelerator pedal sensor and the throttle position sensor. Modern vehicles are so-called "drive-by-wire" - there is no linkage between those two devices. It turns out there was a broken or loose wiring terminal - the dealer did not get into details about where it was located; but it is fixed and I have not had the problem since.

This example is, most probably, not the only reason for an "engine power reduced" message.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by FallRiverHHR
I just bought a used '07 LS, 5 speed with 66K km's. I've driven it for a week now with no problems, but this morning after I stopped to grab a coffee on my way to work, I got in the car, started it up, and when I shifted into first and began to accelerate, the car "hiccupped", I got a little dinging noise and the "eng pwr reduced" sign popped up on my DIC. I found that once I got on the highway, the car had very little acceleration power in 5th, and once I got off the highway, every time I came to a stop, the car would hiccup again as I started moving again. Of course the CEL came on as well.

I got to work, turned the car off, came in and found these forums and tried researching the problem. When I came back out after work, I got in, the car started up just fine and had no more power problems, although the CEL is still on.

My questions are:

1. Would this still be covered under warranty? I have the balance remaining of the 160K powertrain warranty, although the Bumper to bumper is expired. I assume this would be covered under the powertrain warranty if I wanted a dealer to look at it?

2. I don't have a diagnostic reader to check codes, but what are the odds it's related to the TSB regarding the wiring harness to the ECM?

Anybody else have this issue or have any insight? Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Rob
Just a guess based on my experience .... Could it be low battery caused by battery condition or short trips under heavy electrical loads?

Anyway, easy enough to check state of battery charge and easy enough to fix.

PS.
I'm looking for a battery maintainer (permanently mounted) to top up the battery when I plug in the car. I have current drain with short trips and loads like rear window defroster, heated seats, auto lights, heater fan - leading to "engine power reduced". Anyone know of a low amps auto charger that is specified to operate in cold weather?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 AM

that's real similar to what happened to me. OnStar checked the codes, and told me it was an issue with the throttlle position sensors (there are two, and the values they were reading weren't within a set margin of error, so the car shuts down power and the MIL comes on. (and yes, my issue was a faulty wiring harness connector, which was repaired).
What I noticed, was it didn't happen right away. I'd start the car, drive for about 5 minutes, then the light came on, power reduction, sputter-sputter-hic-hic happened.
My HHR is still under a year old, so it was under warranty, but without knowing which code the car was throwing, your mileage may vary.
Good luck
Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 PM

this just happened to me today, i was almost home when it happened. i felt the hiccup described in an earlier post, then it felt like i could not accelerate from a stop. i have 14007 miles and bought mine jan 2008. i tried to call the dealer but missed them by a few minutes. i hope i can walk in tomorrow morning to get it checked. i am so tired if the cel coming on. this is issue 5 in the first year.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 PM

Your best bet would go to auto parts store that can scan the code for free and do your own research. I had enginge power reduced problem could was that throttle position sensor didnt correlate or something simalar turned out the throttle body needed cleaning. There can be many issues/problems that cause CELs or engine power reduced.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
Your best bet would go to auto parts store that can scan the code for free and do your own research. I had enginge power reduced problem could was that throttle position sensor didnt correlate or something simalar turned out the throttle body needed cleaning. There can be many issues/problems that cause CELs or engine power reduced.
This morning, i did not have any power issues this morning, but i went to the dealer and they could not get me in. So I went to Autozone and they checked and cleared the code for me since. But 20 minutes later it was back! I have an appointment on monday to drop off at the dealer. So we will see.
Just really frustrated with the number of CEL issues I have had. Granted it could be worse, but just getting annoying. About two months ago I had to have my BCM flashed.

Quick Reply: The infamous "ENG PWR REDUCED"