Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

The infamous front end vibration...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 09:11 PM

The infamous front end vibration...

Alright guys, I give. I just bought an 07 2.4 LT for 2500 knowing I'll probably have some issues to fix. I've been scanning through the forum to find answers before I asked, but still have the wobble. After 10 minutes of driving it starts a minor wobble in the steering wheel at highway speeds. When I apply the brakes at the off ramp feels like the damn wheels are going to fall off. Best I can tell it's the drivers side. I've already replaced LCA's, tie rod ends, and rotors. My next thought is the CV axle. When I spin the drivers side tire it has a light metal on metal thunking sound, but I'm not sure if this is normal. When driving, the wheel doesn't always return when finishing a turn like a normal wheel will return to center. Almost like something is holding my wheel in the turn, but I have no resistance when I bring it back to center. I don't mind replacing parts, it has 116k and probably needs the rebuild anyways but it would be nice to fix this notorious wobble.
Good news though is that the engine is strong, and no hard shifts or anything too crazy. Just a couple CEL's P0011 P0301, misfire cyl 1, and the advanced timing, both are very intermittent. Already seafoamed the crap out of the engine, and have some new plugs on the way, will order the VVT solenoids next paycheck, and waiting to see if the codes come back. But I'm loving it so far, kinda wish I would have got one years ago!
Old 04-19-2021, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome Aboard !!

Congrats on the new ride.

One issue I'll comment on is the stopping. Check the rear brakes adjustment. Yes these have self adjusters, but on many they don't always adjust. If they are far out of adjust the fronts have to do all the work & can warp the rotors. Better to replace rotors, than cutting them.
I check my rear brakes when I do my yearly oil change & service II. It's a 10 minute thing, once you are used to the deal.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Depending on the mileage, that P0011 could be from camshaft timing issue, as in a timing chain problem, take off the valve cover and inspect the front guide and the timing chain for signs of stretching.

Doubtful the vibration is from CV axles, more like wheel bearing hubs.

And check the upper engine mount, the bolt head should be in the middle of the access slot, if it’s low the mount is toast. That will cause a vibration and can have a metal to metal clunk

This little bit of timing chain stretch can indicate a problem, because the stretched chain allows the camshaft position to be out of time, it can also trigger the crankshaft out of time, but that’s just the sensors doing their job! It’s actually the timing chain needs to be replaced.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:20 AM

It could also be bad/imbalanced tires. Have you tried to rotate the tires from front to back to see if it makes a difference in the wobble?
Old 04-20-2021, 04:59 PM

My vote is rack & pinion.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:02 PM

So I checked the motor mount, it's a bit low and forward by comparison

Is this too far out of whack, or within normal range? I'm also able to hear a clunking when I steer left and right now. Replacing the LCA's and tie rod ends, simmered it down a bit so I can hear things better in there now. But the vibration only happens after driving for 10 minutes or so, so I assume something is heating up and getting loose somewhere. I'm not a mechanic though, just a dude that can change parts 😂. Is there any way to check the rack and pinion, to make sure it's not there? The whole under carriage had been pressure washed, so I have no tells of leaks or anything
Old 04-20-2021, 06:49 PM

Also, the misfire has been quiet for 4 days now. I swapped cyl 1 & 4 plug and coil, code came back. Swapped fuel injector between 1 & 4 and waiting for the code to come back now. Ran compression test just to see got this:Cyl 1 125psi dry \ 145psi w\ oil (passenger)Cyl 2 140psi dry \ 190psi w\ oilCyl 3 160psi dry \ 210psi w\ oilCyl 4 165psi dry \ 210psi w\ oil (driver)
That's with plugs out and 4 rotations. Found 41-988 plugs in there, so I now have the 41 103's ready to go in if the next code throws. Plus I want to wait a sec for the seafoam to run it's course before I throw the new ones in and risk fouling them. Called the dealership, and they didn't have any record of timing chain service, so I'll check the chains if the code comes back also. Thanks for everything so far guys. This page and what y'all do here is awesome!
Old 04-20-2021, 07:37 PM
Administrator

That bolt is a bit low, I’d wait a bit to change it.

#1 cylinder is a touch low @ 145 , it could just be crude in the piston rings, wait and see if the Seafoam does anything.

Shakes and shivers after it warms up? Hubs.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:29 AM

Ok, I ordered some hubs. Should be here Friday, so fingers crossed. I'll let y'all know what happens
Old 04-21-2021, 05:23 PM

Not returning to center indicates something is dragging heavily. Ever tried to force a bicycle to turn by turning the handle bars and not leaning?

Things that could inhibit turning: strut bearings, rack, cardboard box stuck in the works.

Quick Reply: The infamous front end vibration...