Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 05:01 PM

Instrument cluster

My instrument cluster flashes on and off when I start the car. It stops doing it faster in hotter weather. I am on my 3rd cluster and have the same issue. The trip odometers and cruise control does not work. I'm also getting a tire pressure warning light (the air is not low in the tire). I also hear a sound from behind the cluster, almost like something spinning.

I've cleaned the connectors under the fuse box on the engine and applied dialectic grease. Also, per a YouTube video, I ran a ground wire from the TCM to the frame.

My mechanic says it is the cluster, but I think it is something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:26 PM

Did you just slap a cluster in or was it programmed? Why did you replace it the first time?
Does it repeatedly flash, is it just because the DRLs are switching to headlights because you are parked in partial shade?
That youtube vid about the ground wire is trying to kill your car. Get rid of that wire, disconnect from the TCM first.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:47 PM

I had it replaced the first (and second) time for the same reason. Don't know if the mechanics programmed it. It flashes on and off regardless of where I am. I'll remove the wire.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:38 PM

The cluster has to be programmed to the BCM or the odometer and speedo won't work.
The cruise control is usually because one or more of the center high mounted stop light are blown.
If the cluster has been replaced multiple tim,es and the problem remains, it stands to reason it is not the cluster to blame. Must be a wire or the dimmer switch, they go bad a lot more frequently than the cluster.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The cluster has to be programmed to the BCM or the odometer and speedo won't work.
The cruise control is usually because one or more of the center high mounted stop light are blown.
If the cluster has been replaced multiple tim,es and the problem remains, it stands to reason it is not the cluster to blame. Must be a wire or the dimmer switch, they go bad a lot more frequently than the cluster.
Thanks. When it does come on, the speedometer works. The main odometer works, but the trip odometers and cruise control do not. I don't think it is the cluster. I'm going to check the battery connections and connection to the fuse box. I wonder what the connection is to the outdoor temperature is. It was 70 here yesterday and it came on and stayed on after about 15 minutes. Maybe it is a wire. Where is the center high stop light? Where is the dimmer switch located?
Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:38 AM

The center high mounted stop light is the stop light that is in the center and high mounted in the back of the car.
The dimmer switch is that wheel looking thing in the middle of the dash. On the left above the radio.

I would guess that the connection on the back of the cluster is wobbly, or that wire is compromised somewhere between the cluster and the BCM. It is a digital connection

Sounds like you don't have an Owner Manual. Download one via the link in my sig.

I don't have access to my shop manual but here is a link that has the connector and pins defined. https://www.justanswer.com/chevy/7qf...rolet-hhr.html
Old 02-24-2022, 12:04 PM

I agree that it is something up with the connector. Pulling it is beyond my abilities. I'm going to take it to my mechanic and have him check it out.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-24-2022, 12:45 PM
Administrator

The cluster is held in by a couple of screws from the front. Then remove the bezel , fairly easy.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:56 PM
Banned

i have never had to reflash a bmc, so a speedo will work changed from one hhr 2 another only prob i have found is panel speedos don't work with window hhrs as some things run throw panel speedos that window hhrs don't use , so don i don't know all speedo probs i have had have all came from having abs brian probs , so let us know if u have abs ???
Old 02-25-2022, 06:35 AM

Thanks. Will give it a shot. What could go wrong?🤪

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster